Week of 1-28-19
This week in Math, we began Chapter 7. So far, students learned about quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies. We examined each type of coin to find similarities and differences in their appearances; this will help us differentiate between coins when finding the value of a group of coins. At home, have your second grader find the value of a real group of coins, or give your child an amount and have them find coins that will equal that amount! Students are learning an essential life skill and get to practice their mental math skills by counting coins! We ended the week by doing a math mystery to solve the case of the “Kidnapped Groundhog” to review skills learned earlier in the year. Next week, we will continue with money.
In Shurley English, we took our Chapter 6 Test. Students classified sentences with a subject noun, verb, adjectives, adverbs, article adjectives, preposition, and an object of the preposition. We continued to work on common/proper and singular/plural nouns. Next week, we will move into Chapter 7, where students will classify sentences with multiple prepositional phrases.
In Reading, we began “Disaster Alert” and will continue reading this text next week. We are focusing on nonfiction text features to strengthen our understanding of the text.
In Phonics, we began contractions! So far, we have learned how to make contractions with not, will, is, have, am, and are. There was no Spelling test this week, but we did review some of the most challenging words that we have encountered in our Spelling lists throughout the year so far. In Writing, we practiced writing letters with correct greetings and closings to thank our parents for sending us to St. Cletus in honor of Catholic Schools Week.
In Science, we finished all of the lessons in Unit 5. We will be reviewing early next week and taking our test towards the end of the week. Students have been busy learning about food chains, plant and animal adaptations, and different environments and how they can change quickly or slowly over time.
In Religion, we discussed how we are united to Jesus and one another, how the Church gathers together to celebrate Mass, and what happens as Mass begins.
This week’s newsletter secret is: Groundhog Day.
- There is a Cardinal College event on Monday, February 4th at 7:15 p.m. about “Zen Parenting.”
- Teacher Appreciation Day has been rescheduled to Tuesday, February 5th. Both second grade classrooms have parent coverage so Miss Paluch and Mrs. McCartney can enjoy their luncheon…THANK YOU!
- Student Appreciation Day will be rescheduled in the upcoming week.
- Our Second Grade Poetry Reading has been rescheduled to Friday, February 15th from 10:45 – 11:30 a.m. If you are still able to send in the snack/refreshment you signed up for, send it in on 2/15! Thank you! Click here to view the link for the sign up.
- The mandatory First Communion Parent Meeting has been rescheduled to Thursday, February 7th at 7:00 p.m. Doors will open at 6:30 p.m.
- We will NOT have 8:00 a.m. “E” Day Mass on Monday, February 11th.
- Please volunteer for recess/lunch duty, click here.
- If you would like to order hot lunch, click here.
Have a wonderful, safe, and warm weekend!