This week in Religion, we discussed our upcoming All School Mass on January 17th, which we are leading. We talked about the readings and Gospel and the messages they tell us about kindness and treating our neighbors the way we want to be treated. Be sure to join us at 9:00 a.m. on January 17th to see students’ hard work and practice!
In Math, we began Chapter 6. This chapter focuses on three-digit addition and subtraction with and without regrouping. This week, students learned several strategies to solve three-digit addition problems: draw a picture, break apart numbers into expanded form, and the standard method. Next week, we will move into subtraction. Remember to practice those math facts (up to 20) at home to prepare for our timed addition fact tests in school! Click here for a great online resource for students to use at home.
In Science, we started Unit 4 (All About Plants). To kick off the unit, we planted lima bean seeds. Over the next week, we will see them germinate in the classroom. In this unit, we will be learning about basic plant needs, plant parts, and plant life cycles.
In Shurley English, we learned about prepositions and how to find the object of a preposition. We sang and danced to two new jingles to help us remember the meaning of these parts of speech. In Phonics, we continued to work with consonant digraphs and high-frequency words. In Spelling, our pattern was long o words.
In Writing, we began our Poetry Unit. Students will be writing many different types of poems over the next couple of weeks. So far, they have written “Me” poems, haikus, cycle poetry, and sensory poems.
This week’s newsletter secret is: plants.
- Miss Paluch’s class has all of their supplemental supplies in, so don’t worry about what it says on the school calendar! Room 109 should bring them in if your last name is N-Z. Thanks!
- Student Council will be selling different flavors of popcorn to 1st – 8th grades Monday through Friday of next week. The sale will take place during lunch and bags of popcorn will be $2.00. All proceeds will be added to our Misericordia donation
- We have 8:00 a.m. “E” Day Mass on Tuesday, January 15th.
- Wednesday, January 16th is a $1 Student Council Sponsored “50s or 80s Throw Back” Dress Down Day.
- A note went home today about ordering a red/shite t-shirt for the Red and White Volleyball Game during Catholic Schools week. If you are interested, orders are due by January 21st.
- Thursday, January 17th is our second grade-led All School Mass at 9:00 a.m.
- There is no school on Monday, January 21st (MLK Day).
- Open House to begin Catholic Schools Week in on Sunday, January 27th from 10:30 – 12:30. We would love to see you and your family stop by!
- Please volunteer for recess/lunch duty, click here.
- If you would like to order hot lunch, click here.