Week of 11-12-18
This week in Reading, we read Theodore Roosevelt: The Adventurous President, a TIME for Kids Biography. Our focus has been vocabulary comprehension and identifying nonfiction text features. We read about Teddy’s childhood, how he became president, the Rough Riders, the Panama Canal, and his love of the outdoors. Next week, we will create a timeline of Teddy’s life using the text as a resource.
In Shurley English, we learned about common/proper nouns and singular/plural nouns. Students worked on classifying sentences to identify parts of speech, using correct capitalization and punctuation rules, and identifying nouns within sentences. In Phonics, we worked with compound words. In Spelling, our focus was -air words. In Writing, we wrote animal research projects; students chose an animal to focus on, then researched using books in our classroom, in the Library, and on Epic! on the iPads. They found and printed pictures of their animal, along with its diet and habitat, in Technology and will include them in their final project.
In Math, we added up to four two-digit numbers with regrouping. We will review on Friday and take our test on Monday, November 19th. Next week, students will solve a math mystery about Thanksgiving and do a Thanksgiving dinner activity.
In Science, students took their test on Unit 3, All About Animals. They did a wonderful job showing how much they knew about animal groups, life cycles, fossils, and basic needs! We will move back to Social Studies after Thanksgiving Break.
In Religion, we prepared ourselves for First Reconciliation on Saturday, November 17th. They were tested orally on the Act of Contrition and the Ten Commandments. They also took a written test to demonstrate their understanding.
This week’s newsletter secret is: penance.
- Bring in a canned/nonperishable food item on Monday or Tuesday to donate at the Thanksgiving Prayer Service!
- Saturday, November 17th is First Reconciliation. Please be in the church by 10:55 a.m.
- Sunday, November 18th is the Book Fair at 10:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, November 20th is a 11:30 a.m. Early Dismissal (no after-care). Please still send in a snack, but students will not be at school for lunch.
- Sign up for Parent Teacher Conferences here! They are on Tuesday, November 20th, starting at 12:30 p.m.
- Room 110 Scholastic Book Orders are due on November 20th. Click here to order; our class code is: RLQG7.
- Lunch is in the classroom on Monday, November 19th. Please volunteer for recess/lunch duty, click here.
- If you would like to order hot lunch, click here.
Have a wonderful and safe Thanksgiving with your families! We are THANKFUL for you!