This week in Reading, we read a short story called “Marching with Aunt Susan.” We focused on the beginning, middle, and end of the story. Next week, we will begin reading Change Makers. We will connect this to Writing as we write about ways that we can change the world.
In Math, we began Chapter 5, which focuses on two-digit subtraction with regrouping. We have learned two different methods so far: breaking apart numbers and drawing pictures. We also continued with our timed addition fact tests. Please practice memorizing facts at home! Next week, we will learn how to do the standard method of subtracting.
In Religion, we learned about the sacrament of Confirmation. Students learned about the Holy Spirit and identified special words and actions of the sacrament.
In Social Studies, we began Unit 2 (Our Earth). So far, we have learned about cause and effect, landforms (mountain, valley, lake, river, ocean, island, peninsula, and plain), and reading a map. Next week, we will learn about how people live in different communities and the meanings of the words ancestor, producer, and consumer. We will also learn about natural resources and how we use them to live, crops, how to read a bar graph, and conservation.
In Shurley English, we learned about the simple subject and simple predicate. We reviewed parts of speech, singular/plural nouns, and common/proper nouns. We also worked on editing sentences for correct capitalization and punctuation.
In Phonics, we worked on high-frequency words and consonant blends with r and l. Next week, we will continue with consonant blends with s, final blends, and vowel sounds of y. In Spelling, our focus was “ch” as k words.
This week’s newsletter secret is: Holy Spirit.
- Sunday, December 2nd is Breakfast with Santa…be sure to RSVP on the school website!
- Tuesday, December 4th is a Cardinal College event at 7:00 p.m. We would love to see you there! It is also a Fun-Raiser at Chipotle in Countryside. Stop by to support our school!
- Thursday, December 6th is a $1 Bright Green, Purple, or White Dress Down Day to benefit “Gift of Hope.” We also have 8:00 a.m. “E” Day Mass on that day.
- Tuesday, December 11th is a Student Council Sponsored College-Themed Dress Down Day for $1.
- Our Annual Christmas Program is on the evening of Thursday, December 13th.
- Please volunteer for recess/lunch duty, click here.
- If you would like to order hot lunch, click here.