This week in Religion, we discussed the importance of Christmas and why we celebrate this special holiday. We also created Nativity scenes!
In Math, we reviewed and took our test on Chapter 5 (two digit subtraction with regrouping). We finished up the week by solving a math mystery to review concepts previously learned and by playing some math card games to improve fact fluency. Remember to practice those addition facts over break! Students should have most of them memorized.
In Social Studies, we discussed the difference between trading and bartering. We also reviewed concepts like goods, services, transportation, and factories. We took our test on Friday. When we return from Christmas break, we will begin Science, Unit 4. This unit focuses on plant needs, how plants grow, plant parts, and plant life cycles.
In Reading, we read City Green. Students focused on the setting, characters, and story structure (beginning, middle, end). We also learned about author’s purpose (to persuade, to inform, or to entertain). After Christmas break, we will begin Unit 4 of ReadyGen. The theme of Unit 4 is “Facing Challenges and Change.” Some of the texts that we will read are Seek the Sun, Disaster Alert!, and Danger! Earthquakes. In Writing, we will begin our poetry unit.
In Shurley English, we reviewed how to classify sentences with nouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, and article adjectives. We also sorted nouns to identify whether they were common/proper and singular/plural. In Phonics, we worked with consonant digraphs such as ch, th, wh, kn, wr, sh, and ck. In Spelling, our focus was long i words. Over break, have your child review Units 1-15 on Spelling City! The link is here.
This week’s newsletter secret is: Happy New Year!
- There is a 1:00 p.m. Early Dismissal (no aftercare) on Friday, December 21st. There is no school from December 24th-January 4th.
- There is a Rolling Skating Party on January 3rd from 6:30-9:00 p.m. at Fleetwood Roller Rink. Tickets are on sale now during lunch time in the lunch room for $6.00 each. They will be $8.00 at the door. Kids can rent skates at the rink or bring their own.
- Miss Paluch’s class has all of their supplemental supplies in, so don’t worry about what it says on the school calendar! Room 109 should bring them in if your last name is N-Z. Thanks!
- We have 8:00 a.m. “E” Day Mass when we return on January 7th.
- Wednesday, January 9th is a $1 Student Council S-ponsored “Anything” Dress Down Day.
- Please volunteer for recess/lunch duty, click here.
- If you would like to order hot lunch, click here.
We hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Have a safe, warm holiday break!