This week in Math, we focused on two-digit subtraction with regrouping. Students practiced drawing pictures to model regrouping, solved problems using the standard method, and rewrote problems vertically to solve. Next week, we will learn about using addition to find the difference and work on solving word problems.
In Religion, we learned about how the Church has its own year and about the seasons of the Church year. Students learned more about Advent and Ordinary Time.
In Social Studies, we learned about conservation, reading bar graphs, and reviewed concepts in Unit 2 for our test, which we took today (Friday). We also made landforms out of clay to review what each landform looks like. Next week, we will continue with Social Studies and move into Unit 3. Unit 3 is titled “Working Together.” It focuses on goods and services, factories, transportation, and trade.
In Phonics, we worked on consonant blends and the y as a long e or i sound. In Spelling, we focused on words with the long a sound. Next week, our spelling pattern will be long e words.
In Shurley English, we took our Chapter 5 test. Students showed how much they knew about nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, and article adjectives! They also did a nice job identifying nouns as singular/plural and common/proper. In the upcoming weeks, we will be reviewing all English concepts learned so far. In Simple Solutions English Grammar, students have been learning about contractions, collective nouns, and prefixes, too.
This week’s newsletter secret is: Advent.
- A note went home Thursday regarding the Advent Giving Tree; please send in at least $1 and pancake mix and/or syrup by Friday, December 21st! Thank you in advance!
- Tuesday, December 11th is a Student Council Sponsored College-Themed Dress Down Day for $1.
- We are having our second visit to Oak Trace on December 12th. Thank you to parents who are volunteering to come with!
- Christmas Shoppe is happening next week, please see this flyer for more information. We are going on Tuesday, December 11th as a class. It would be VERY HELPFUL if you could browse the website (https://4825200.holidaytreasuresgiftshop.com/) and make a wish list ahead of time to print and send to school with students, along with cash or pre-purchased voucher for students to spend.
- Our Annual Christmas Program is on Thursday, December 13th at 7:00 p.m. It will be held in the Parish Center. Students should arrive by 6:45 p.m. and wear dress clothes (Christmas colors preferred).
- We have 8:00 a.m. “E” Day Mass on Friday, December 14th.
- Room 110 should bring in their supplemental supplies (paper towel, wipes, tissue, etc.) if they have not done so already by Friday, December 21st. A note went home on Thursday with specifics.
- There is a Rolling Skating Party on January 3rd from 6:30-9:00 p.m. at Fleetwood Roller Rink. Tickets are on sale now during lunch time in the lunch room for $6.00 each. They will be $9.00 at the door. Kids can rent skates at the rink or bring their own.
- Please volunteer for recess/lunch duty, click here.
- If you would like to order hot lunch, click here.