This week in Reading, we began John Chapman: Planter and Pioneer. We completed a KWL chart to determine what we know about Johnny Appleseed, what we want to know about him, and what we learned after reading the text. We also focused on the main idea and details of sections of the text. We will continue reading this book next week.
In Phonics, we added ed and ing endings to words. We discussed several rules, such as doubling the final consonant and dropping the final e before adding the ending. In Shurley English, we classified sentences with and without prepositional phrases. We also determined the topic and supporting details of a paragraph. In Spelling, we focused on /oi/ words.
In Math, we solved word problems involving money to find the total value and reviewed counting coins to find total values. We also began telling time to the nearest five minutes. Next week, we will continue telling time and discuss a.m. and p.m. We will end the week by taking our Chapter 7 Test, covering both money and time.
In Religion, we discussed the Liturgy of the Word. Students learned about the readings, Gospel, homily, creed, and prayers of the faithful. We ended the week by hearing Sunday’s Gospel and completing the Worship Bulletin to help us understand what the reading means.
In Social Studies, we learned about our local, state, and federal governments. Students learned about the leaders of each government, along with citizenship and taxes. A few additional skills that were taught include identifying the main idea and details of a paragraph and reading a table. Next week, we will complete a project to show our understanding of the three branches of the federal government.
This week’s newsletter secret is: Liturgy of the Word.
- Six Flags Reading Program Sheets and Field Trip Permission Forms for “The Jungle Book” play are due today (Friday, February 15th).
- There is no school on Monday, February 18th.
- February Scholastic Book Orders are due by Tuesday, February 19th. Our class code for online ordering is: RLQG7.
- We have 8:00 a.m. “E” Day Mass on Wednesday, February 20th.
- There is a $1 “Wizard of Oz” Themed Dress Down Day on Thursday, February 21st sponsored by Student Council to support Misieracordia.
- Spring Auction T-shirt Orders are due by Friday, February 22nd. They are $20 each and include four free dress down days in March.
- The Roller Skating Party is on March 7th from 6:30 to 9:00 p.m. at Fleetwood Roller Rink. Tickets are being sold during lunch for $6 ($8 at the door).
- Summer Solutions is on sale! I highly recommend you purchase both Math and English books for your child. They are only $15.99 (with free shipping). I have seen students retain information throughout the summer by completing just one page a day at home. Our school code for online ordering is: H60525CLE. Visit www.summersolutions.net to order.
- Please volunteer for recess/lunch duty, click here.
- If you would like to order hot lunch, click here.
Thank you to those of you who came out to see our Second Grade Poetry Reading on Friday! The students had a blast and we appreciated your support!