Week of 2-19-19
This week in Reading, we finished John Chapman: Planter and Pioneer. Students enjoyed reading about Johnny Appleseed and how people remember him today. Our reading focus skill was identifying character traits and finding text evidence to support our ideas. Next week, we will read a nonfiction text about Johnny Appleseed and focus on the lessons we can learn from his life. We will be also writing an opinion piece on one of the lessons, describing why we still think it is useful in today’s world.
In Religion, we reviewed the Liturgy of the Word. Students did a matching activity with a partner, where they had to put the parts of the Liturgy of the Word in order and match them to their description. They did a great job identifying the first reading, psalm, second reading, alleluia, gospel, homily, creed, and prayer of the faithful! Next week, we will learn about the Liturgy of the Eucharist.
In Math, we finished Chapter 7, which focused on money and time. Next week, we will begin Chapter 8; students will learn about measurement!
In Phonics, we worked with adding endings to words. We learned about the following suffixes: -less, -ness, and -ly. Next week, we will learn about -er and -est. In Shurley English, we reviewed and took our test on Chapter 7 (prepositional phrases and topics). Next week, we will begin Chapter 9. This chapter focuses on subject-verb agreement rules and pronouns. In Spelling, we focused on words with the /ou/ sound.
In Social Studies, we continued with Unit 4. So far, students have learned about local government, state government, federal government, voting, U.S. monuments, and mottos. Some skills we have focused on throughout this unit are reading a table and using a map grid. Next week, we will take our test on this unit and return to Science.
This week’s newsletter secret is: vote.
- A sign up for Parent-Teacher conferences has been e-mailed out; please make sure to sign up at your earliest convenience!
- There is a $1 Blue Dress Down Day on Tuesday, February 26th sponsored by Student Council to support Misericordia.
- We have 8:00 a.m. “E” Day Mass on Thursday, February 28th.
- The Roller Skating Party is on March 7th from 6:30 to 9:00 p.m. at Fleetwood Roller Rink. Tickets are being sold during lunch for $6 ($8 at the door).
- Summer Solutions is on sale! I highly recommend you purchase both Math and English books for your child. They are only $15.99 (with free shipping). I have seen students retain information throughout the summer by completing just one page a day at home. Our school code for online ordering is: H60525CLE. Visit www.summersolutions.net to order.
- Please volunteer for recess/lunch duty, click here.
- If you would like to order hot lunch, click here.