Week of 2-25-19
This week in Reading, we read a nonfiction biography about Johnny Appleseed. We compared and contrasted this text to John Chapman: Planter and Pioneer, which we read last week. Students continued to identify nonfiction text features and how they help us to better understand the text. In Writing, we focused on opinion writing. Each classroom wrote about a different topic.
In Shurley English, we began Chapter 9. In this chapter, students have learned about subject-verb agreement rules, pronouns, and subject pronouns so far. We will continue classifying sentences with many parts of speech and focusing on using correct capitalization and punctuation rules.
In Math, we began our chapter on measurement. So far, students have measured lengths using one inch square tiles and an inch ruler. We also discussed estimation.
In Phonics, we worked with suffixes such as -er, -est, and -ly. Students also learned how to change the y to an i and add the ending if a word ends in a consonant + y.
In Social Studies, we reviewed Unit 4 and took our test on government. Next week, we will move back to Science, where we will learn about natural disasters, natural resources, and plant products.
In Religion, we reviewed the Liturgy of the Word and its eight parts. Students put the parts in order and matched them to their descriptions to practice. We also took a quiz on this concept. Next week, we will learn about the Liturgy of the Eucharist and its parts.
This week’s newsletter secret is: Ash Wednesday.
- Make sure to sign up for Parent-Teacher Conferences! Here is the link: https://www.ptcfast.com/schools/St_Cletus.
- On Wednesday, March 6th, we will be attending Ash Wednesday Mass at 9:20 a.m. Parents are more than welcome to join us!
- There is an 11:30 a.m. Early Dismissal on Thursday, March 7th. Parent-Teacher Conferences begin at 12:30 p.m.
- The Roller Skating Party is on March 7th from 6:30 to 9:00 p.m. at Fleetwood Roller Rink. Tickets are being sold during lunch for $6 ($8 at the door).
- There is no school on Friday, March 8th.
- We will have 8:00 a.m. “E” Day Mass on Tuesday, March 11th.
- Field trip forms for the Museum of Science and Industry went home today. Please make sure to turn in the permission form and payment by March 19th!
- Summer Solutions is on sale! I highly recommend you purchase both Math and English books for your child. They are only $15.99 (with free shipping). I have seen students retain information throughout the summer by completing just one page a day at home. Our school code for online ordering is: H60525CLE. Visit www.summersolutions.net to order.
- Please volunteer for recess/lunch duty, click here.
- If you would like to order hot lunch, click here.