This week in Religion, we discussed how the parish gathers together to celebrate Mass and what occurs at the beginning of every Mass.
In Math, we ordered coins in a collection by value to find a total amount, represented money amounts less than one dollar using two different combinations, showed one dollar in various ways, and found the total value for amounts greater than one dollar. Next week, we will move into telling time.
In Science, we reviewed Unit 5 and took our test on animal adaptations, environments, and resources. Next week, we will transition back into Social Studies. In this upcoming chapter, we will be learning about our government.
In Reading, we read Disaster Alert! and Danger! Earthquakes. We focused on identifying nonfiction text features, such as titles, photographs, captions, and diagrams. Students began working on a project called “Nonfiction Text Features About Me,” where they have been using their understanding of text features to create a project about themselves.
In Writing, we focused on informative text. Students chose one of the following natural disasters to write about: tornadoes, volcanoes, floods, bushfires, or sinkholes. They gathered information from Disaster Alert! in a graphic organizer, then wrote a final draft. They also created illustrations describing how to survive the natural disaster they chose to write about. Come check them out in our classrooms!
In Phonics, we continued to work with contractions and began adding endings to make nouns plural. In Shurley English, we started Chapter 7. In this chapter, we will continue to classify sentences with prepositional phrases and identify which part of speech a word is in a sentence without classifying it. We will also discuss topics and supporting details. In Spelling, we worked with /er/ words.
This week’s newsletter secret is: earthquake.
- We will NOT have 8:00 a.m. “E” Day Mass on Monday, February 11th. We will be attending a 9:00 a.m. All School Mass instead.
- Thursday, February 14th is our Valentine’s Day classroom party; please make sure to check your e-mail for a message from our room parents regarding the party.
- There is a $1 Pink or Red Dress Down Day sponsored by Student Council on Thursday, February 14th.
- Our Second Grade Poetry Reading has been rescheduled to Friday, February 15th from 10:45 – 11:30 a.m. If you are still able to send in the snack/refreshment you signed up for, send it in on 2/15! Thank you! Click here to view the link for the sign up.
- Field Trip Permission Forms for “The Jungle Book” play are due by Friday, February 15th.
- There is no school on Monday, February 18th.
- Please volunteer for recess/lunch duty, click here.
- If you would like to order hot lunch, click here.