Week of 3-11-19
Wow, what a busy week! We attended a dental assembly, saw the Wizard of Oz Play performed by our middle schoolers, watched the fifth graders present their science projects, participated in our first Stations of the Cross event for Lent, and visited Oak Trace!
This week in Math, we finished Chapter 8 and took our test on measurement in customary units. Next week, we will begin Chapter 9, which focuses on length in metric units (centimeters and meters).
In Science, we wrapped up Unit 6, where we learned all about natural resources, changes to Earth’s surface, and products. We will transition back into Social Studies next week, where we will learn about important events and people in history.
In Religion, we discussed the parts of the Liturgy of the Eucharist, such as the Lord’s Prayer, Eucharistic Prayer, and the Sign of Peace.
In Shurley English, we continued working with pronouns and subject-verb agreement rules. In Simple Solutions English, students have been learning about conjunctions, changing singular nouns to plural nouns, and possessive pronouns. We continue to review present and past tense verbs, correct punctuation, and meanings of words through Simple Solutions.
In Phonics, we began the next unit, which focuses on vowel pairs, digraphs, and diphthongs. So far, students have learned about several vowel pairs and the sounds they make. This skill will help students decode unfamiliar words when reading texts.
In Handwriting, we have now learned all lowercase cursive letters. Have your second grader write words in cursive at home for practice! We began uppercase letters this week; so far, students know A and O.
In Reading, we started reading Pioneers to the West. We have been focusing on nonfiction text features, cause and effect, story structure, and author’s purpose while reading this text.
This week’s newsletter secret is: leprechaun.
- Lunch is in the classrooms until March 19th! This is a great opportunity for you to come in; you only have to watch one class! We would GREATLY appreciate your time, click here to sign up.
- We have Lenten Rice Bowls in our classrooms; please feel free to send in spare change to donate to those in need!
- Second Grade will be attending Reconciliation on Monday, March 18th.
- Field trip forms for the Museum of Science and Industry are due by March 19th.
- We are attending a 9:00 a.m. All School Mass on Tuesday, March 19th. Therefore, we will NOT have 8:00 a.m. “E” Day Mass on Tuesday, March 19th.
- Speech and Language Screenings will be held on March 20th. “TherapyWorks” will be at the school campus on Wednesday, March 20th, available to screen students for speech and language fluency. Parents interested in having their child(ren) screened should read and complete this Permission Form.
- There is a Dining for Dollars fundraising event at Portillo’s in Willowbrook on March 20th from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m. Click here for the flyer.
- Friday, March 22nd is a free Auction T-Shirt Dress Down Day. You must wear the 2019 Auction t-shirt in order to dress down.
- Scholastic Book Orders are due by March 22nd. Our online class code is: RLQG7.
- Summer Solutions is on sale! I highly recommend you purchase both Math and English books for your child. They are only $15.99 (with free shipping). Our school code for online ordering is: H60525CLE. Visit www.summersolutions.net to order.
- Our First Communion Mandatory Retreat is coming up in a few weeks; make sure to clear your calendars for April 6th!
- If you would like to order hot lunch, click here.
Happy St. Patrick’s Day! Have a great weekend!