Week of 3-25-19
This week in Reading, we read a fictional short story called Going West. Students enjoyed reading about one family’s journey traveling west and starting a new life. We focused on identifying characters’ points of view and evidence from the text to support our ideas. We also identified the beginning, middle, and end of the story and discussed the central message.
In Writing, Room 109 focused on personal narratives about a special place in their lives, and Room 110 focused on informational writing about pioneers to go along with what we have been learning in Reading and Social Studies.
In Shurley English, we wrapped up Chapter 9 with our test. We will continue to review parts of speech, grammar rules, capitalization, and punctuation as we continue with Shurley English. We have been working on a variety of English skills in Simple Solutions, too, such as possessive nouns, shades of meaning, root words, and spelling patterns. In Phonics, we have been focusing on reading and writing words with vowel digraphs. In Spelling, we studied words with a silent c.
In Math, we finished Chapter 9 and took our test. Students learned about measuring in centimeters and meters in this chapter. They also worked on estimation in meters and comparing lengths. We will begin Chapter 10 next, which focuses on collecting data and displaying it with graphs.
In Religion, we read a book about having the courage to be who you are, played Bingo to review the parts of the Mass, and went over the responses we say during the Mass. We also attended Stations of the Cross.
In Social Studies, we learned about historical figures and their impact. Some of the people we discussed are: Sacagawea, Lewis & Clark, Harriet Tubman, Abraham Lincoln, and Jackie Robinson. Next week, we will review Unit 5 and take our test. Some topics on the test will be pioneers, colonists, explorers, and different Native American groups.
This week’s newsletter secret is: pronoun.
- The St. Cletus Spring Auction is this Saturday, March 30th! Make sure to bid on our classroom items!
- Our Field Trip is on Tuesday, April 2nd. Students need to wear gym uniforms and bring a brown bag lunch.
- We will have 8:00 a.m. “E” Day Mass on Thursday, April 4th.
- Our First Communion Mandatory Retreat is on April 6th from 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- The deadline to order a yearbook is April 8th. To purchase, go to www.treering.com/1014781237284279. They are $25.00.
- Come volunteer for recess/lunch duty! With the weather warming up, we will be going outside to enjoy some fresh air! We would love for you to join us! Click here to sign up.
- We have Lenten Rice Bowls in our classrooms; please feel free to send in spare change to donate to those in need!
- Check out the March school newsletter here.
- Summer Solutions is on sale! We highly recommend you purchase both Math and English books for your child. They are only $15.99 (with free shipping). Our school code for online ordering is: H60525CLE. Visit www.summersolutions.net to order.
- If you would like to order hot lunch, click here.
Have a great weekend!