This week in Reading, we began 68 Ways to Save the Planet Before Bedtime. This nonfiction text provides students with many ideas on how they can save the planet by doing small acts every day. This book is the beginning of our unit on “Changing the World.” We have focused on identifying nonfiction text features and their purpose and finding the main idea and supporting details.
In Writing, we worked on personal narratives. Students thought of a special place in their life, whether it be the park down the street or a cool place they went on vacation. They described this place, what they did there, and how it made them feel. Come check them out hanging in the hallways and classrooms!
In Shurley English, we began Chapter 11. We have learned a new jingle for possessive pronouns to help us remember all seven (my, our, his, her, its, their, and your). We have started to classify sentences with possessive pronouns in them as well. We will continue learning new things in Chapter 11, such as when to use a or an when writing and all about exclamatory sentences.
In Phonics, we have been working with vowel diphthongs. In Spelling, our focus pattern was “are” words. In Simple Solutions English Grammar, we have been focusing on pronouns, making nouns plural, identifying words in a sentence as adjectives or adverbs, and finding root words. We will begin taking Simple Solutions Quizzes every Friday, in both Math and English.
In Math, we began Chapter 10. This chapter focuses on reading and creating tally charts, bar graphs, line plots, and picture graphs. We will be doing a lot of fun activities to go along with this chapter in the upcoming weeks! Some of these include graphing M&M’s and creating a survey, gathering results, and displaying our data with graphs. In Simple Solutions Math, we have been reviewing important concepts learned throughout the year. Some of these include solving two-step word problems, measurement, telling time, using place value, and geometry.
In Religion, we discussed what happens at the end of every Mass, the Blessed Sacrament, the tabernacle, how the early Christians lived, and how we should make peaceful choices.
In Social Studies, we reviewed Unit 5 with a Kahoot using the iPads and took our test. Next week, we will move back to Science.
This week’s newsletter secret is: retreat.
- Our First Communion Mandatory Retreat is this Saturday, April 6th from 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. We will meet in Morrissey Hall.
- The deadline to order a yearbook is April 8th. To purchase, go to www.treering.com/1014781237284279. They are $25.00.
- Tuesday, April 9th is a $1 Anything Dress Down Day, sponsored by Student Council.
- There is a Dining for Dollars event at Cafe Salsa in Countryside on April 9th and April 11th. Click here for the required flyer.
- Thursday, April 11th is Living Stations at 2:00 p.m. in the church, if you would like to join us!
- We will have 8:00 a.m. “E” Day Mass on Friday, April 12th.
- Spring Break is from Monday, April 15th to Wednesday, April 24th. We will not have school. School will resume on Thursday, April 25th.
- First Holy Communion banners are due to Miss Paluch or Mrs. McCartney by April 29th.
- Come volunteer for recess/lunch duty! With the weather warming up, we will be going outside to enjoy some fresh air! We would love for you to join us! Click here to sign up.
- An order form went home on Wednesday, April 3rd about purchasing a group Communion photo; please be sure to return those ASAP!
- Second Grade Brownies “Books & Recess Toys” Collection – St. Cletus 2nd Grade Brownies are collecting gently used books (Pre-K to 5th grade reading level) and lightweight outdoor toys, such as jump ropes, balls, etc. for students at Bhoodevi Shishu Mandir School (grades 1 to 5) in Dereshpur, India, a rural, very poor community outside of New Delhi. Items should be dropped off in a collection box in the Morrissey Hall lobby until Friday, April 12.
- We have Lenten Rice Bowls in our classrooms; please feel free to send in spare change to donate to those in need!
- Summer Solutions is on sale! We highly recommend you purchase both Math and English books for your child. They are only $15.99 (with free shipping). Our school code for online ordering is: H60525CLE. Visit www.summersolutions.net to order.
- If you would like to order hot lunch, click here.