Week of 4-29-19 through 5-3-19
This week in Reading, we read On Meadowview Street. We discussed the central message of this story and how it relates to our unit theme of “changing the world.”
In Writing, we finished writing and illustrating our opinion pieces on what we want to be when we grow up for our Student Treasures book. We have sent in the books to be published! They should be coming in a few weeks, for those of you who ordered.
In Shurley English, we finished and took our test on Chapter 11. We have been classifying sentences with multiple prepositional phrases and possessive pronouns, in addition to the other parts of speech we already know. We also learned when to use a or an when writing.
In Phonics, we learned many different prefixes. We discussed how they change the meaning of a base word.
In Math, we moved into Chapter 11, which focuses on Geometry. We have learned about 3-D and 2-D shapes so far. We have discovered sides, faces, and vertices in these shapes, too.
In Religion, we practiced singing our Communion song and how to properly receive the Eucharist. We also learned how people are called to serve God in different ways.
In Science, we learned about how seasons affect living things. We learned about how animals hibernate and migrate, and how we are affected by the seasons.
This week’s newsletter secret is: sunshine.
- Tuesday, May 7th is a $1 Favorite Color Dress Down sponsored by Student Council.
- Below are some reminders about the mandatory Communion practices this week:
- Practice for the 10:30 a.m. Mass is on Tuesday, May 7th from 6:30-8:00 p.m.
- Practice for the 1:00 p.m. Mass is on Wednesday, May 8th from 6:30-8:00 p.m.
- Readers and gift bearers need to arrive earlier, by 6:10 p.m., to practice.
- We will meet in the Church.
- Casual dress is appropriate.
- One parent MUST stay with their child for the entire practice.
- We have 8:00 “E” Day Mass on Friday, May 10th.
- First Communion is on Saturday, May 11th! Please drop your child off in the Parish Center 30 minutes before your Mass time.
- May Crowning is on Monday, May 13th at 9:00 a.m.! 2nd and 8th Grade are in charge of this Mass. Second graders need to come to school in their First Communion outfits on this day. We will take our group Communion photo after the Mass. Send in gym uniforms and gym shoes in a bag to change into. We look forward to seeing you at this Mass!
- Our last visit to Oak Trace is on Tuesday, May 14th. We will play board games and summer bingo with the residents.
- Come volunteer for recess/lunch duty! With the weather warming up, we will be going outside to enjoy some fresh air! We would love for you to join us! Click here to sign up.
- Summer Solutions is on sale! We highly recommend you purchase both Math and English books for your child. They are only $15.99 (with free shipping). Our school code for online ordering is: H60525CLE. Visit www.summersolutions.net to order.
- If you would like to order hot lunch, click here.