This week in Reading, we finished 68 Ways to Save the Planet Before Bedtime. This nonfiction text provides students with many ideas on how they can save the planet by doing small acts every day. We created Earth Day projects demonstrating various ways we can save the planet in our everyday lives. Come check them out hanging in the hallways and classrooms!
In Writing, we began writing opinion pieces about what students want to be when they grow up. These will be published into a book that will be available to order and purchase in the upcoming weeks when we return from Spring Break.
In Shurley English, we continued on Chapter 11. We have been busy classifying sentences with multiple prepositional phrases and possessive pronouns, in addition to the other parts of speech we already know. We also reviewed when to use a or an when writing.
In Phonics, we finished up our unit on vowel pairs, vowel digraphs, and vowel diphthongs. In Simple Solutions English Grammar, we have been focusing on pronouns, making nouns plural, identifying words in a sentence as adjectives or adverbs, and finding root words. We have started taking Simple Solutions Quizzes every Friday, in both Math and English.
In Math, we finished Chapter 10 and took our test. While this was a short chapter, we will continue do various projects when we return from Spring Break to reinforce students’ understanding of bar graphs, tally charts, picture graphs, and line plots, before moving on to the next chapter in our textbook .In Simple Solutions Math, we have been reviewing important concepts learned throughout the year. Some of these include solving addition and subtraction word problems, elapsed time, shapes, and arrays.
In Religion, we discussed Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Holy Saturday, and Easter Sunday. We also created a monstrance craft to help students’ understanding of this object used during Lent for adoration.
In Science, we began talking about how weather changes, types of clouds, precipitation, wind, and temperature. We also learned how the sun heats the Earth, weather patterns, and the water cycle.
This week’s newsletter secret is: spring.
- Spring Break is from Monday, April 15th to Wednesday, April 24th; we will not have school. School will resume on Thursday, April 25th.
- First Holy Communion banners are due to Miss Paluch or Mrs. McCartney by April 29th.
- Come volunteer for recess/lunch duty! With the weather warming up, we will be going outside to enjoy some fresh air! We would love for you to join us! Click here to sign up.
- An order form went home about purchasing a group Communion photo; please be sure to return those ASAP!
- Summer Solutions is on sale! We highly recommend you purchase both Math and English books for your child. They are only $15.99 (with free shipping). Our school code for online ordering is: H60525CLE. Visit www.summersolutions.net to order.
- If you would like to order hot lunch, click here.