This week in Reading, we read Alfred Nobel: The Man Behind the Peace Prize. We discussed the main topic, author’s word choice, and cause and effect.
In Shurley English, we reviewed classifying sentences, parts of speech, types of nouns, and subject/predicate. In Phonics, we learned about homonyms and reviewed synonyms and antonyms.
In Math, we finished Chapter 11, where students learned how to partition shapes into halves, thirds, and fourths. We also discussed dividing shapes into same size parts multiple different ways. We will take our last test next week, and spend the remainder of the year reviewing concepts previously learned (i.e. three-digit subtraction with regrouping).
In Religion, we learned about how we are a part of a parish. We also discussed what pastors and bishops are. We ended the week by creating a beautiful Mary craft, since we celebrated her during our May Crowning Mass on Monday.
In Science, we reviewed Unit 7 with a Kahoot game on the iPads and took our test on weather. We began Social Studies Unit 6 on Thursday. In this unit, we will be learning about people and places in history. The first major idea that we will learn about is family history, and how the United States is made up of people with diverse ethnic origins. An “Ancestor Doll & Oral Presentation” project directions/rubric went home on Thursday. Please read and follow the directions thoroughly! These are due on Friday, May 24th. STUDENTS JUST NEED TO RETURN THEIR COMPLETED DOLL AND THE ORAL PLANNING SHEET ON THE 24TH! We will write and practice our presentations in school; Students will present on Friday, May 31st.
This week’s newsletter secret is: rain, rain, go away.
- We have 8:00 “E” Day Mass on Monday, May 20th.
- Our field trip to see “The Jungle Book” play is on Wednesday, May 22nd. We will be back at school around 12:15 p.m. Lunch will be a little later than normal, but if you ordered hot lunch on that day, they will be holding it for us until we get back.
- The Dance-A-Thon is on Friday, May 24th during school.
- There is no school on Monday, May 27th (Memorial Day).
- There is a $1 Blue Dress Down Day on Tuesday, May 28th.
- Come volunteer for recess/lunch duty! With the weather warming up, we will be going outside to enjoy some fresh air! We would love for you to join us! Click here to sign up.
- Summer Solutions is on sale! We highly recommend you purchase both Math and English books for your child. They are only $15.99 (with free shipping). Our school code for online ordering is: H60525CLE. Visit www.summersolutions.net to order.
- If you would like to order hot lunch, click here.
- If you want to order school supply kits for next year, you have two options for ordering. You may fill out a paper copy or order online through the website. Our school code for online ordering is: STC058. Either way, you must order by June 7th.
- To volunteer for Picnic/Field Day on Thursday, June 6th, click here.