Week of 5-20-19 to 5-24-19
This week in Reading, we read A Picture Book of Eleanor Roosevelt. We focused on author’s purpose, how illustrations can help us understand new vocabulary, cause and effect, and author’s word choice. Students also connected some characters in this book to the book we previously read about Teddy Roosevelt!
We also compared and contrasted “The Jungle Book” play (which we saw on Wednesday), The Jungle Book (which we read before going), and Disney’s movie version of the story (which we watched this week). Students did an excellent job finding similarities between the three different versions and identifying differences!
In Writing, we reminisced about all of the fun things we have done in second grade so far. Students had a great time thinking back to brainstorm ideas to write about. Once students decided on their two favorite memories from second grade, they began writing about them in various paragraphs. Come check them out in the hall!
In Math, we began learning about arrays and repeated addition, and how it relates to multiplication. This will give students an understanding of this concept taught in third grade.
In Religion, we learned how prayer can keep us close to God, discussed the meaning behind the “Our Father” and discovered different ways that we can pray.
In Social Studies, we learned about special holidays and their meanings, customs around the world, community, state, and national landmarks, and how contributions of ancient China and Egypt have influenced our world today.
This week’s newsletter secret is: Memorial Day.
- There is no school on Monday, May 27th (Memorial Day).
- There is a $1 Blue Dress Down Day on Tuesday, May 28th.
- We have 8:00 “E” Day Mass on Wednesday, May 29th.
- TCBY and Field Day Permission/Hot Dog Order Forms are both due by Wednesday, May 29th.
- Come volunteer for recess/lunch duty! With the weather warming up, we will be going outside to enjoy some fresh air! We would love for you to join us! Click here to sign up.
- Summer Solutions is on sale! We highly recommend you purchase both Math and English books for your child. They are only $15.99 (with free shipping). Our school code for online ordering is: H60525CLE. Visit www.summersolutions.net to order.
- If you would like to order hot lunch, click here.
- If you want to order school supply kits for next year, you have two options for ordering. You may fill out a paper copy or order online through the website. Our school code for online ordering is: STC058. Either way, you must order by June 7th.
- To volunteer for Picnic/Field Day on Thursday, June 6th, click here.