Photos from the third grade hosted School Mass on February 27th.
Religion: This week our third graders will be learning about Lent and attending the school Ash Wednesday Mass. Please come and pray with us. FYI rooms 111 & 112 will be leading the Stations of the Cross on March 21 in the afternoon. You are welcomed to attend this lovely Lenten prayer tradition.
Phonics: Students will be learning several rules to use when dividing a word into syllables.
Spelling: There will not be a weekly spelling unit and test this week due to the shortened week.
Reading: Students should be finishing the reading of their mystery book for the March “cereal box” book report which is due 3/13/19. The third graders will be taking a “practice” Aspire reading test in the computer lab. In the classroom we are continuing to read and analyze the novel, The Year of Miss Agnes for characterization, sequence of events as a result of a character’s actions and dialogue, and importance of illustrations. We are also working with a variety of reading skills such as context clues, supporting details, texture features etc. in the Quizlets.
Grammar: The weekly Simple Solutions Grammar Quiz will be on Thursday, March 7th. Grammar skills that will be tested in the quiz include, subject verb agreement, identifying nouns, matching words with the suffix -ness to the correct meaning, correcting capitalization, using commas and quotation marks around dialogue, forming plurals of words that end with sh, ch, s, and x, dividing a word in syllables that is in the pattern vccv, figuring out the correct meaning of a new word using the base word’s meaning, and forming the correct comparative adjective using er or est.
Math: Students will be working on how to solve two step division problems, the order of operations, and a review of division strategies such as arrays, number lines, grouping, related facts. There will be a Simple Solutions Quiz on Thursday, March 7th. The Chapter 7 Division test will be early next week.
Science: In science this week students will continue learn about behavioral adaptations of animals which help them survive.
- Lunch/Recess Volunteers: 111 and 112 would love it if you could volunteer for recess & lunch supervision. Third grade has recess/lunch from 11:30 – 12:15. Please see the class page to sign up or click the link below:
Specials Next Week:
Mon: A……..Spanish & Gym 112 Gym & Science Lab
Tues: B…….111 Gym & Science Lab 112 Library & TLC
Wed: C…….111 Art & Spanish 112 Spanish & Gym
Thurs: D……111 Science Lab 112 Spanish (afternoon schedule)
- Wednesday, March 6th – Ash Wednesday Mass 9:20 am
- Thursday, March 7th – Auction shirt dress down, 11:30 dismissal/ Parent-Teacher Conferences
- Uniform Exchange – March 7
- Roller Skating Party – March 7
- Friday, March 8th – No school
- 2019 Spring Play, “Wizard of Oz” – March 14 and 15
- Speech and Language Screenings – March 20
- Dining for Dollars at Portillo’s – March 20
- 2019 Spring Auction – March 30 (Auction Proceeds Help our School’s Operating Budget)
Queen of Hearts is every Monday at Kenny’s! Maybe you will be the next Winner!