Hello Fourth Grade Families! We have survived our first full week of school in two weeks. The students accomplished many things these past 5 days. Our Homecoming Pep Rally was a wonderful way to end our week.
Looking ahead to next week…
- Monday, G Day:
- 1st and 4th grade 8:00 am Mass
- Room 114 TLC and S.T.R.E.A.M
- Room 115 Music and S.T.R.E.A.M
- Tuesday, A Day:
- Room 114 Music and TLC
- Room 115 TLC and S.T.R.E.A.M
- Wednesday, B Day:
- Room 114 Gym
- Room 115 Spanish
- $1 Blue top dress down with uniform bottoms
- Thursday, C Day:
- Room 114 Spanish and S.T.R.E.A.M
- Room 115 Gym
- D4D at Aurelio’s Pizza
- House End of the Month Half Dress Down!
- Friday, D Day:
- Room 114 Gym
- Room 115 Library and Gym
- Grand Friends Mass at 1:15 pm with reception to follow
Math: We concluded chapter one of Go Math this week. We will be introducing new vocabulary and beginning chapter two, which is on multiplication. Students will be learning multiple ways to multiply.
Reading: We will be concluding Porpoises in Peril this upcoming week. Please expect a comprehension assessment on Wednesday, September 25th. Our next text is a biographical story on paleontologist, Mary Anning. We will be looking at how to identify biographical texts, as well as, sequencing the events in the text.
Spelling/ Grammar: For spelling our new unit focuses on the multiple ways we can make the long a sound. These spelling words will be our focus for the next two weeks. Using these words, our activities will focus on word structure, word clues, alphabetical order, analogies, and using context clues. In grammar, we will continue focusing on identifying parts of speech within sentences. Homework for this week will focus on parts of speech. There will be an assessment on Thursday, September 26th.
Writing: In writing, we have been working on using our five senses to develop a well detailed paragraph that is centered on one specific event. Students will be writing, revising, and editing their paragraphs. 4th grade is excited to announce that we will be pen pals with another 4th grade class in North Carolina. Students will learn the components of a friendly letter and will begin the pen pal process.
Science: We have been looking at the different ways the scientific method is used when answering a question. Students will continue deepening their understanding of inquiry skills and the scientific method.
Social Studies: We have had a blast in Social Studies learning how to use latitude and longitude by playing Battleship. Students have been working on identifying latitude and longitude of states as well as finding states based on their coordinates. This week we will be continuing to work on our geography skills, but we will also be beginning to learn about the rich history of our beloved state, Illinois.
Religion: 4th grade has the honor of leading our school’s Grandparents’ Day Mass on September 27th. Students will begin preparing the mass. We will also be looking at the Liturgical year and understanding that the liturgical year is a celebration of Jesus’ life.
- Please review the dress code found in the Uniform Guidelines under the Forms and Documents Page of the Parent’s site or click the following link: https://stcletusschool.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Uniform-Guidelines.pdf
Dress code will be enforced.
- Volunteering for Lunch/Recess has begun!!! Be sure to look for the signup genius link on Dojo. There will also be a QR code which, will be placed in your student’s assignment notebook this upcoming week. Students truly enjoy this opportunity of having parents join in on our day. We thank you in advance! 🙂
*** If you have read this, please tell your child the code word:homecoming. When your child returns to school, have them tell their teacher the code word to receive a House Point!
Thank you so much for your constant support and cooperation!
Mrs. Lupe Varchetta & Ms. Hannah Tyk