Looking ahead/Mark your calendars:
- Friday, May 12: Kindergarten Mother’s Day Tea at 10am; ALL moms are invited to attend this event, which is a kindergarten tradition!
- Wednesday, June 7: Kindergarten Celebration, 10:30am–plan on attending! Students are dismissed for the summer following the celebration.
PBIS Countdown Activities: Click below to view the countdown calendar. Next week’s activities are all in the classroom so there’s nothing you need to do. 🙂
- Monday, May 8: U is for “under your desk”
- Tuesday, May 9: T is for “thank you notes”
- Wednesday, May 10: S is for “sit next to a friend”
- Thursday, May 11: R is for “rainbow writing”
- Friday, May 12: Q is for “quiet relaxation”
- Hot lunch: Don’t forget to place your weekly hot lunch orders!
- Mystery Reader: Last chance! If you’d like to be a mystery reader, please reach out to me and we can find a date that works. Thank you!
- When your child comes home with a book buddy bag, please be sure to practice this book with your child and send it back by the due date listed. I need these books returned in a timely manner, please. Thank you!
- The PBIS final month of school countdown has started! The children especially enjoyed “W” for “watch a video” (we watched a mickey episode during rest time) and “v” for “visit friends”—we visited with our buddies outside!
- You received an email from Amaya’s dad about ways that you can help out at the celebration. We have a few more slots available. I’ll be reaching out to those that signed up right after the Mother’s Day Tea event.
We will wrap up the iReady math diagnostic and will begin the reading diagnostic.
We will attend the May Crowning Mass on Monday. We will see how the second and eight graders honor Mary!
We will be VERY BUSY getting ready for our special guests on Friday–our moms!
- High Frequency words: focus words: when, then, so
- Journaling/writing: daily journaling continues and many students are beginning their 5th and final journals of the year. These journals will have additional lines for sentence writing. The children will continue to partner pair share their writing and sit on our author stools to share their work.
- Interactive writing and word work: Writing time on whiteboards will continue followed by word work with a special focus on on long vowel words and the job of the silent or “magic e”.
- Guided reading, fluency journals: We will work on phonics skills in our small groups while reading books that focus on those different phonics skills. Small group work work includes nonsense words, CVC, CVCe words and words with the Jolly Phonics digraphs we have learned this school year. The books that children are practicing will be sent home in book buddy bags or pouches. Be sure to practice and be proud of your reader—and then send back in a timely manner!
- Read alouds: The children are loving our caterpillar and butterfly stories. We are keeping track of all that we are learning from the nonfiction books.
We are about halfway through Chapter 9, 2D shapes. We have talked about circles, squares and triangles. Next up will be rectangles, trapezoids and hexagons! Students will be expected to name the number of sides for each shape and the number of vertices (corners). We will be working on drawing the shapes on graph paper, making them on geoboards and creating them with pattern blocks.
- Addition and subtraction practice
- Identify word problems as “addition” or “subtraction”, generate an equation and solve.
- Counting to 100 by ones, fives and tens
- Counting to 20 by 2s.
- Count forward from a given number (except 1)
- Money: Identifying the penny, nickel, dime and quarter, the value of each and recognize some of the symbols. We will also work on counting groups of coins.
- The caterpillars have gotten very BIG! We’ve learned that their only job right now is to eat and eat and eat some more. We are documenting our observations in our science journals.
- We feel God’s love through our moms! We will be finishing up final projects for the big event! We will be busy baking on Thursday for our special guests!
- May is Mary’s month and we will be honoring her all month long! Each morning we will be praying the Hail Mary. We also have a Mary altar in our classroom. The kids are welcome to bring in flowers (I told them to ask mom or dad first before picking any from the yard!) for the altar!