Mark your Calendars:
- Monday, December 13: We will attend 9:30 Mass– Our Lady of Guadalupe
- Tuesday, December 14: 8am Mass: doors open at 7:45
- Wednesday, December 22nd: Advent Mass and Christmas Song presentation: Please plan on joining us for 9:30 Mass followed by the song presentation; students should dress up in Christmas attire.
This Week: Run, run as fast as you can, you can’t catch me, I’m the gingerbread man! Our gingerbread unit wrapped up with our own gingerbread chase…around the school! We ended in our classrooms with a yummy cookie treat. This unit is always so wonderful for text to text comparisons. We were busy comparing characters, settings, and book endings. The children also enjoyed discussing their favorite book and why it as their favorite book!
A letter went home about the food pantry. The request is $1 (or what you’re comfortable with) per student. Money is what they’re requesting right now. They prefer money because they’re able to purchase a greater amount of food through the Chicago Food Depository (vs asking for food donations). Send what you can and we will put in our classroom envelopes!
We will be busy practicing for the Christmas song performance and getting some special art projects finished for our families. 🙂
Math: Chapter 5 in Go Math…
- Counting to 50 by ones
- Counting to 100 by 10s
- Counting to 100 by 5s: practice this at home! They’re doing great!
- Counting forward from a given number (except 1)
- Right now, we are representing addition to 5 with fingers, drawings, etc. Our goal is to “fluently add within 5”–these math facts should become very automatic with lots of practice! Our end goal is “adding within ten”. Find ways to use addition skills at home! We will be doing many center activities to practice addition with math manipulatives.
- Christmas graphing: how many more? How many less? How many altogether, etc
Religion: We are very busy learning new songs and poems for the upcoming Advent Mass. We are learning about the days leading up to Jesus’ birth and also using the Jesse tree to hear more about the people in Jesus’ family tree. Each Friday, we spend some quiet time in church with God and visit the advent wreath. We say a prayer over the newly lit candle and ask God to help us be more like His son, Jesus. The children are working hard to let their lights shine! The Jesse tree bulletin board in the main hallway is becoming FILLED with kindness ornaments. We are sticking to our Advent promise and working hard to shine our lights for all to see!
- High Frequency word wall words: We will continue to focus on number words ONE-TEN, and PLAY, DEAR, FROM; keep that December word wall in a safe place
- Jolly Phonics and phonemic awareness: We are focusing on the Jolly chunks–hearing them in words, recognizing them in written words. It’s so fun to hear the children call out, “I hear a /th/” or “I see a chunk–EE!”; replacing beginning sounds, word family work, tapping out words to hear the BEGINNING, MIDDLE and END sounds.
- Journaling: Daily journaling includes writing at least one sentence, using the word wall to correctly spell words, “stretching” unfamiliar words, drawing a picture to match the sentence, writing words with a pencil and using punctuation to end the sentence.
- Nonfiction Christmas stories about Jesus’ birth
- Fiction Christmas stories: Text to self comparisons: “this reminds me of when..”; naming the setting, characters, problem and solution.