Upcoming Events/Mark your calendars:
- Monday, December 14: Prayer walk: St. Cletus students and staff will be participating in an Advent Prayer Walk and Food Collection Drive during the school day. Students are asked to please bring a non-perishable food item to donate to our Food Pantry. Our goal is to collect 300 donated items to help fill the shelves of the St. Cletus Parish Food Pantry.
- Wednesday, December 16: Dining for Dollar’s at Enzo’s in Countryside; 11-8, carryout and delivery; ENZO’S FLYER
- Tuesday, December 22: Last day of school before break and Christmas Party in our classrooms
What an end to our gingerbread unit! The kids loved making their own gingerbread houses. It’s always so much fun exploring and comparing the different versions of the gingerbread story.
Christmas is near and we are busy getting ready in so many different ways. Continue to encourage your child to do kind deeds as a way to get ready for Jesus’ birthday.
- We will be busy getting plans and materials together for our remote learning days after Christmas break. These materials will be distributed on Monday, December 21. Materials will NOT be available for pick-up after the break, all materials will be sent home with your child before we are dismissed for break.
- We will be working on other special Christmas projects!
We will continue to do 30 minutes of iReady in the lab.
- Sight words: number words 1-10 and review all other word wall words, focusing on BY, DEAR, LOVE.
- Jolly Phonics: listening and writing beginning, middle and end sounds in CVC words; stretching out all other words and ‘writing the sounds we hear.’
- Journaling: Daily journaling continues; students must write their name, the date, draw a picture and independently write at least one sentence; we expect word wall words to be spelled correctly and finger spaces in between words. We are working on using only ONE capital letter at the beginning of the sentence and remembering to use punctuation at the end. We are also looking for DETAILED pictures. Daily journaling is so important and we’ve already seen so much progress!
- We will explore Christmas books and will work on “making connections.” This reminds me…
- Phonemic awareness: our daily phonemic awareness practice will continue with generating words in different word families (-ip, -it, etc.), beginning middle and end sounds in CVC words, changing beginning sounds in words and hearing the onset and rime in words.
- Fluency Passages: We will be introducing fluency passages; these are passages that students will practice reading at their reading level. This is when we will focus on using our reading strategies: “get your mouth ready,” “look for chunks,” “use the picture clues,” “what makes sense?”
We will wrap up chapter 4 in our Go Math workbooks. We will continue to do 30 minutes of iReady each week.
- Counting to 100 by ones
- Counting to 100 by 10’s and 5’s
- Writing & Representing to 30
- 1 to1 Counting to 40
- Represent Addition up to 10 with fingers, drawings, sounds
- Decompose numbers up to 10 in more than one way (5=2+3 and 5=4+1)
- Compose and decompose numbers 11-19 by drawings & equations
- Count forward from a given number (except 1)
- Greater Than, Less Than or Equal To (to 20)
- Compare two numbers up to 10
- We will explore nonfiction stories that tell us all about the Christmas story.
- We will continue to gather around the crib and share kind deeds.
- We will continue to visit the manger outside of our church and review who we see and why we don’t see baby Jesus yet!
- We will be completing an art project that includes writing about how we can “bring JOY to the world!”