Upcoming Events/Mark your Calendars:
- Tuesday, December 13: We will NOT attend 8am Mass, we WILL attend 9:30 Mass
- Tuesday, December 13: Dining for Dollars at Nonna’s in LaGrange. St. Cletus gets 50%! Dinner is taken care of!
- Wednesday, December 21: The kindergarten Christmas Mass and song presentation is Wednesday, December 21 at 9:30. Children should dress up for the Mass and all are welcome to attend! After the Mass, students will sing and recite songs and poems on the altar. In the afternoon, we will have a birthday party for Baby Jesus. We will be able to have 6 parent volunteers. You will get a sign-up genius link for this soon from Amaya’s dad.
- Volunteering: If you wish to volunteer at St. Cletus School, please make sure you complete the following requirements. We will have two classroom volunteer opportunities in October. Get these requirements completed! https://stcletusschool.com/volunteering/
- Hot lunch: Don’t forget to place your weekly hot lunch orders!
- Christmas Lights: If you have any Christmas lights that don’t work, feel free to send them with your child. NJHS is recycling them.
- Classroom Christmas Party: please watch for a sing-up email (volunteers and supplies)
- Writing Center: We are opening up our writing center at free choice time! If you ever see any fun stickers or paper on sale, feel free to grab and send them in!
Language Arts: Next week we will wrap up our gingerbread man unit!
- Journaling: We will continue daily journaling. Writing goals are: words on the bottom, picture on top, correct spelling of word wall words, phonetic, “write the sounds you hear” spelling of all other words, finger spaces in between words and writing one sentence.
- We will complete our gingerbread story character, setting, ending chart. We will make text to text comparisons using the chart, noticing similarities and differences.
- Phonemic awareness: isolating beginning, middle and end sounds. Listening for rhyming words. Counting syllables in words. Stretching words to hear the individual phonemes. Replacing beginning sounds with new sounds to make new words.
- Word wall words: The December/January word wall went home earlier in the week. Our current word wall: do, go, no, the, we, will, yes, you, I see, like, to, a, is, my, and, have, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, white, brown, black, pink, did, or, me, big, run, am, can; next week, I will introduce: NUMBER WORDS, ONE-TEN
- Christmas stories at the listening center and Christmas read alouds!
Math: We will begin chapter 5 next week! Chapter 5 is all about ADDITION!
- Counting to 70 by ones–Practice this at home!
- Counting to 100 by 10s–Practice this at home!
- Counting by 5s to 100–Practice this at home!
- Writing & Representing to 30
- 1 to1 Counting of objects to 40
- Represent Addition up to 10 with fingers, drawings, sounds
- Represent Subtraction up to 10 with fingers, drawings, sounds
- Represent Addition and Subtraction up to 5 with equations
- Decompose numbers up to 10 in more than one way (5=2+3 and 5=4+1)
- Compose and decompose numbers 11-19 by drawings & equations
- We will graph our favorite gingerbread stories
- Now is Advent, Advent is here. When Advent is over, Christmas is here! Each day, we will gather around a crib in our classroom and adding a piece of straw for each kind deed shared at home. Be sure to encourage your child to do a kind deed each night or ask your child after school, “what kind deed did you share with your class today?”
- On Mondays each week during Advent, we will “light” a new candle on our Advent wreaths. On Fridays, we will visit the Advent wreath in church and say a prayer.
- We are busy practicing songs and poems for our upcoming Mass! Next week, we will have our first practice in church.
- We will learn about the Nativity story by reading books, reading from the bible, singing and completing activities about the story.