Upcoming Events/mark your calendars:
- Friday, March 26th: If your child has an auction shirt, please wear it today!
- Sunday, March 28th: Palm Sunday
- Next Week: You can bring in pancake mix or cereal for next week if you haven’t already!
The countdown is on for the Spring Auction! It will take place virtually on Saturday, April 24th. We are SO excited! Please be sure to check out the kindergarten auction donations by clicking below:
No need to be ‘present’ to bid on the items, but it’s sure to be a fun night. We hope to see you there!
For more information on the auction click here: https://stcletusschool.com/fundraising/auction/
How can you support the auction right now?
- Donate a silent auction item!
- Contribute to the Father’s Club Beer Cave: All beer donations can be dropped off at Audrius Girnius’s house, located at 622 8th Ave, LaGrange ; Donations can be left on his front stoop. What kind of beer? Anything! How much beer? Anything you’d like to contribute. Cases, 6-packs, Bombers, all accepted and greatly appreciated!
It was a full week of learning and fun in kindergarten! On Wednesday, we celebrated St. Patrick’s Day in our classrooms with all kinds of fun activities and surprises throughout the day. The children enjoyed setting leprechaun traps and although we didn’t catch any of those sneaky leprechauns, the kids enjoyed putting their engineering minds to work. Other activities included writing the room, sorting and graphing rainbow skittles, drawing leprechauns and more! The students also illustrated our leprechaun pocket chart song in their poetry journals. Ask your child to sing the song to you! Hint: “I’m a little leprechaun…” At one point during the day, our learning was “interrupted” by a funny sound coming from the hallway. We investigated and realized it was a bagpipe player! The children enjoyed hearing about the bagpipe and clapping to the music. It’s always fun to be celebratory especially this pandemic school year! On Friday we wore red to celebrate St. Joseph. Bringing food over to the food pantry was a great way to celebrate St. Joseph. We have certainly done a great job of caring for those in need this Lenten season!
We will continue our rainbow unit next week with some light experiments. We will also wrap up our Mo Willems author study next week!
- We will learn a new pocket chart poem that will remind us that spring is finally here! The children will make an illustration for the new poem in their poetry journals.
- Sight words: Focus words for the remainder of the month: us, at, come, some, look, her, him, this, what
- Guided reading groups: word work practice focusing on either CVC words or words that have blends or chunks.
- We continue to practice “retelling” to show comprehension of what we are reading. Don’t forget to practice this at home! Comprehension can be seen when asking questions like: “What happened at the beginning/middle/end?” “What was the problem in the story?” “how was the problem solved?” “Who was your favorite character?” “where did the story take place?” “Does this story remind you of any other story?”
- We will wrap up our Mo Willems author study! The children have really been enjoying his books!
Math: We will continue Go Math Chapter 7.
- Counting to 100 by ones
- Counting to 100 by 5s
- Counting to 100 by 10s
- Counting to 20 by 2s
- Count forward from a given number (except 1)
- Represent addition up to 10 with fingers, drawings, sounds
- Represent subtraction up to 10 with fingers, drawings, sounds
- Compose and decompose numbers 11-19.
- We have introduced “3D Shapes”-cube, cylinder sphere and cone. Here are the learning goals for 2d and 3d shapes: Analyze and compare two- and three-dimensional shapes, in different sizes and orientations, using informal language to describe their similarities, differences, parts (e.g., number of sides and vertices/”corrs”) and other attributes (e.g., having sides of equal length).
- “Jesus went about doing good” We will continue to read about Jesus’ kind acts as well as the stories or parables that he shared to teach others about God’s love. The kids LOVE when we pull out the Bible! We will learn a new song about Palm Sunday. This song will remind us that Palm Sunday is the start of Holy Week in our church!
- We will continue to add ” The Lord’s Prayer” to our morning prayer routine. The two classes pray together each morning and it’s so wonderful to hear so many of them join in saying the Our Father!
- We will continue to pray the Stations of the Cross on Fridays. Again, this is a form of prayer and we are focusing on the acts of kindness Jesus encountered and the the fact that he FORGAVE the soldiers for the mean things they did. Jesus knew he had to die for us to open the gates of heaven. He doesn’t want us to be sad. He gives us Easter so we can be happy and REJOICE!
- If you haven’t sent in a box of cereal, waffle or pancake mix, feel free to send in next week for our Lenten food pantry donations. Also, did you know we have filled up FOUR rice bowls in kindergarten? We are certainly doing a great job of sharing kindness with others this Lenten season!