Upcoming Events/Mark your Calendars:
- Tuesday, November 15: 8am Mass
- Friday, November 18: Thanksgiving Feast, kindergarten (see below)
Please mark your calendars. The kindergarten Christmas Mass and song presentation is Wednesday, December 21 at 9:30. Children should dress up for the Mass and all are welcome to attend! After the Mass, students will sing and recite songs and poems on the altar. In the afternoon, we will have a birthday party for Baby Jesus. We will be able to have 6 parent volunteers. That sign up genius will come out in December.
- Wednesday, December 21: 9:30 Christmas Mass and Song presentation. Afternoon (time TBD) Christmas Party.
- Volunteering: If you wish to volunteer at St. Cletus School, please make sure you complete the following requirements. We will have two classroom volunteer opportunities in October. Get these requirements completed! https://stcletusschool.com/volunteering/
- Hot lunch: Don’t forget to place your weekly hot lunch orders!
- Halloween Candy sort page: Turn this in for a sticker and a chance to share your results with the class!
Personal Care Item Drive Donations: Student council is hosting this drive for our St. Cletus Food Pantry starting November 7th. They will be collecting Personal Care Items such as soap, shampoos, conditioners, deodorant, feminine products, toothpaste, toothbrushes, toilet paper.
- P/T Conference sign-up: Please be sure to sign up for a conference with me. If you cannot make it the 22nd, please email me to reschedule for a day after Thanksgiving break.
- Thank you for filling in the sign-up genius so quickly! There are just a few spots left, thank you. I believe Trader Joe’s has their own version of the steam and mash potatoes FYI. https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0e4aa4af2ba2fac61-thanksgiving
- We will have a blessings feast on Friday, November 18th. This will be IN PLACE OF your child’s usual lunch. Please do not order hot lunch this day (or cancel it if you have, thank you). The menu is: deli ham and turkey, corn muffins ( we will make), apple sauce, carrots and dip, grapes, strawberries, applesauce, mashed potatoes (we will make) and dessert. We will feast together with our friends upstairs in a special room. It will be another day to count our blessings! Thank you, God!
- I will wrap up trimester 1 assessments. I will be going over these assessments with you at conferences!
- Jolly Phonics: We will finish group 7 sounds next week, which means we will be done introducing ALL 42 Jolly Phonics sounds! By getting them all introduced early on in the year, we will now be able to cycle through them over and over.
- Journaling: We will continue to write in our journals next week.
- Phonemic awareness: Our newest skill is clapping out the number of syllables in words. We continue to practice isolating beginning and end sounds, listening for rhyming words, counting out the number of words in sentences, replacing sounds with new sounds to make new words and now isolating the “onset” and “rime” in words. For example, C—AT…..CAT! sh—ip…..SHIP!
- Word wall words: Our current word wall: do, go, no, the, we, will, yes, you, I see, like, to, a, is, my, and, have, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, white, brown, black, pink, did, or; I will introduce ME, BIG
- Centers will focus on isolating beginning, middle and end sounds in CVC words as well as practicing color words.
- Read alouds: we are naming the “setting” and “characters” in stories; we are working on sequencing the events in stories. AT HOME: when reading a story, please practice retelling the story–beginning, middle and end.
Math: We started Chapter 4 and will continue that next week. Chapter 4 is all about: ways to make 10 (if I have 7, how many more do I need to get to 10?), counting, ordering and comparing numbers.
- Counting to 50 by ones–Practice this at home!
- Counting to 100 by 10s–Practice this at home!
- Writing & Representing to 30
- 1 to1 Counting to 40
- Represent Addition up to 10 with fingers, drawings, sounds
- Represent Subtraction up to 10 with fingers, drawings, sounds
- Represent Addition and Subtraction up to 5 with equations
- Decompose numbers up to 10 in more than one way (5=2+3 and 5=4+1)
- Compose and decompose numbers 11-19 by drawings & equations
Religion: Thanksgiving is a time we get to stop and count our blessings! We have thankful turkeys hanging in our classrooms right now. Every couple of days, we are adding a feather to our turkeys with one thing we are thankful for. We will soon have a colorful turkey that will be a great decoration for our homes and a wonderful reminder of all God’s blessings. Count our feathers, count our blessings!
We will be busy preparing for our feast on Friday. We will be making corn muffins, mashed potatoes, hats and placemats.
We will continue Second Step and exploring FEELINGS. God cares how we feel!
- We will learn about the first Thanksgiving feast and will be busy preparing for our own feast!