Upcoming Events/Mark your Calendars:
- Thursday, October 7th: PICTURE DAY! Please dress for picture day, but still wear gym shoes no matter what the outfit choice is! We will still be going outside.
- Picture Day: PLEASE TURN IN PICTURE DAY FORMS!
- Please watch for an email in the coming weeks from our room parents about our Halloween parties at the end of October!
October is here! We will be busy cutting and pasting getting our rooms all decorated for the new month! We’ll be all about fall leaves, pumpkins, bats and spiders! Such a fun month in kindergarten!
- High Frequency Words: We will finish introducing the last of our October words: my, have, is; Our word walls are quickly growing! We’re up to 17 words! If you don’t have the hard copy word wall we sent home last month, here is an extra copy: End of october word wall
- Jolly Phonics: We will be finishing and sending home GROUP 4 and moving on to GROUP 5 letters/sounds. You may have noticed, we are transitioning from the 26 A-Z letter/sounds to now learning about digraphs and diphthongs or what we call “chunks” in kindergarten. We will start doing Jolly Phonics 3 days a week beginning next week as we add on journaling and shared writing to our Language Arts time. In journaling the children will work on “stretching” out words or “writing the sounds we hear”. The children will work on using pencils to write letters/words and crayons to draw pictures. Shared writing is when the children will “share the pen” with the teacher and we will practice stretching words, using finger spaces, writing word wall words, etc. Once we finish introducing all 42 Jolly sounds in November, we will transition to daily journaling. This is the BEST way to practice letter/sound relationships!
- Reading strategies: “Get your mouth ready” (say the beginning sound), use the picture clue, dig deeper into the word (say other sounds) and what makes sense?
- Making connections: We are working on making connections between a book and events in our own lives. ” This books reminds me of….”
Math: We will begin chapter 3 in Go Math! More pre addition skills are worked on in this chapter as the children practice making different numbers with counters. For example, what are the different ways to make 7? 4 +3, 5 +2, etc.
- Counting to 30 by ones-this is easy to practice at home or in the car!
- Writing & Representing to 10
- 1 to1 Counting a group of objects
- Representing 1 more; What’s one more than 8? One more than 10?
- Answer “How Many?” up to 10
- Identify Shapes (different orientation/sizes)
- Use tally marks and ten frames to represent different numbers
- We will be focusing on TEEN numbers and showing them as “one group of ten with _____ many ones left over.”
- We will begin to practice counting by TENS. Practice this at home and in the car!
Religion: We will wrap up our unit on Baptism with a talk from Fr. Dan at church. He will show us the St. Cletus baptismal font, the holy chrism oil and talk to us a bit more about Baptism. We will review how each time we bless ourselves with holy water coming into church and leaving, it reminds us of our baptism…when we became a part of the church family! We will also visit the candle in our church that is ALWAYS lit. A lit candle always reminds of Jesus, who is the light of the world! Jesus asks US to be light too! After wrapping up Baptism, we will introduce “CREATION” with a new pocket chart song. Ask your child to sing it next week; hint: “God made flowers, God made trees, God made fishes in the seas…”
Science: We will continue our fall unit on bats, pumpkins, spiders and leaves throughout the month of October!