Upcoming Events/mark your calendars:
- Normal week next week!
- October 30th: Haunted Car yard! Students will also be able to come to school in their costumes that day. Please arrive by 12:30 so your trunk is in ready to go. ALL students (regardless of whether or not you have a trunk decorated) will then parade around the lot and view the trunks. Remember to RSVP no later than October 26th at this link https://stcletusschool.com/hauntedcaryard/
- The week of October 26th is Red Ribbon week!
October 27th-Crazy socks with uniform
October 28th-Crazy hat with uniform
October 29th-Pajama Day
October 30th-Halloween costumes!
- Tuesday, November 24: VIRTUAL P/T conferences; you will sign up for a time slot through PTC fast (for returning families, this is what you’ve used for several years) and then you will get a GOOGLE MEET link from your child’s teacher. Please watch for information on sign-up to come from the school office soon!
Support our School:
- Boxtops: CONTINUE TO SCAN YOUR BOX TOPS! If you haven’t yet, be sure to download the new Box Tops app to scan your receipts and instantly add Box Tops to your school’s earnings online! It’s so convenient and keeps track of your own earnings as well as how much St. Cletus has earned to date! If you prefer grocery shopping online you can forward your emailed receipt to email@example.com and you’ll get points within about an hour! You can also forward your emailed receipt to MargaretNapleton@gmail.com and she will do the work for you or send your receipts in to the office to the attention of Margaret! Click here to see current special offers and bonus box top chances!
- AMAZON SMILE: With every purchase 0.5% will be donated to a charity of your choice. Please follow the directions below and choose St. Cletus School as the recipient. Do your kindergartener’s grandparents use Amazon? Be sure they use Amazon Smile as well!
- Check that you have the latest version of the Amazon app
- Open the Amazon Shopping app on your device.
- Go into the main menu of the Amazon Shopping app and tap into ‘Settings’.
- Tap ‘AmazonSmile‘ and follow the on-screen instructions to turn Amazon Smile on.
- If you haven’t joined the parent facebook page yet, please come check it out! It’s a great place for updates and reminders as well a space for you to post any questions you may have! You can find it HERE
- Wishlists: Mahr: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/27NRMH9IESQ25?ref_=wl_share ; Firestone: https://www.amazon.com/hz/wishlist/ls/3S5MF0KC1H3FM?ref_=wl_share
Another busy week in kindergarten! Fall is such a fun time of the year to be in kindergarten! We love to spend time outside in the afternoon so be sure to dress your student for the weather. This also means the children need to practice ZIPPING THEIR OWN JACKETS. Please be patient with your student at home and give him/her the time to practice this skill.
We’ll be learning all about spiders next week! How are they different from insects? Are they creepy or are they cool? We will graph to find out! We will read nonfiction text to learn more about spiders as we remember that nonfiction books “teach us about something.”
Sight words: Current words on our word walls: a, did, do, I, is, no, the, yes, to, see, like, go, will, you, we, or, have, me, big, run; Next week we will start to learn to read and spell our COLOR WORDS! Red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, brown, black, white and pink. We have a lot of songs and chants to help us learn how to read and spell these words. We will work on color words for the next few weeks while also reviewing all other word wall words. These are the last first trimester words we will learn! Time is flying! At home: click HERE to practice reading trimester 1 words. We have covered the first half of the words listed in this powerpoint. You can press play and your student can practice writing with marker, fun pens, chalk, dry erase markers, magnadoodles, ipad, boogie board, etc. Click HERE to print flash cards to begin practicing sight word recognition. You can also print 2 copies of these on thicker paper and play memory!
Journaling: We are getting closer to beginning daily journaling in kindergarten. Current journaling expectations: Name at the top, words written in pencil, detailed drawing in crayon, correct spelling of any word wall words, finger spaces in between words, punctuation at the end and stretch out any non word wall words and “write the sounds you hear.” We are writing one sentence (or more!) in our journals.
Jolly Phonics: We are onto group 6 (out of 7) letters next week. Have we mentioned time is flying!?We will plan on introducing: Yy, Xx, ch, sh, th
- Reading strategies: “Get your mouth ready,” “use the picture clue” and “look for chunks.”
- Nonfiction vs. fiction text: understanding the differences and purpose of each.
- Making connections: connecting one text to another text and connecting own experiences to a text: “this reminds me of when…”
- iReady reading in the lab.
Math: We have started to work in our GO MATH workbooks.
- Counting to 30 by ones. At home: You can practice this in the car!
- We will continue to practice counting by 10s to 100. At home: another thing you can practice in the car!
- Counting forward from a given number other than 1. At home: say to your student, “10” and ask your student to say “11, 12” and so on.
- Writing and representing groups up to 20.
- Counting and answering “how many?” up to 20.
- Comparing numbers using >< = and “matching up” as Go Math teaches us.
- iReady math in the lab.
Religion: God cares how I feel! God cares when I am angry! What does angry look like? What should we do if we feel angry? What if a friend is angry? Our Second Step cards will also help us with this emotion.