- Monday, October 12: No School
- Speech Screening: If your child’s teacher hasn’t already reached out to you but you have concerns, please don’t hesitate to send an email. Click this link for information on the screening from D105: Oct. Kindergarten Screening – St. Cletus
- Seesaw: Please be sure to check in to your student’s seesaw account weekly. Be sure to check the INBOX on the right hand side for additional assignments. Remember, any Seesaw assignments right now are OPTIONAL/ EXTRA practice of skills that we are practicing in school. We’d like grown-ups and children to get comfortable navigating Seesaw. In your INBOX are the optional “boom card” practice links. Boom cards are quick, self-checking practice cards. These links are good for 2 weeks from the time they are assigned.
- Seesaw Notifications: Please consider turning on your seesaw notifications–after signing in, click on the gear button on the top left hand side. Then go to SETTINGS and CLASS NOTIFICATIONS.
- Social Media: Are you following St. Cletus school on Instagram? On facebook? On Twitter? Be sure to do so! And don’t forget our kindergarten facebook page! Please reach out if you are having any difficulties.
- Directory Spot: Are you logged in to directory spot? https://www.directoryspot.net/schools/stcletuschool/ This is where you can access kindergarten friends names, contact info. Perhaps an outdoor playdate while it’s still nice out! Kindergarten is such a wonderful year. Such sweet friendships are forming in our classrooms!
- Be sure to check out the PICTURES PAGE!
Support our School:
- Boxtops: Be sure to download the boxtops app. If you don’t do this, PLEASE send in your receipts, ATTN: MARGARET NAPLETON (Tommy’s mom from Mrs. Mahr’s class).Are you scanning your boxtops? Click HERE to see list of products with boxtops.
- AMAZON SMILE: With every purchase 0.5% will be donated to a charity of your choice. Please follow the directions below and choose St. Cletus School as the recipient. Do your kindergartener’s grandparents use Amazon? Be sure they use Amazon Smile as well!
- Check that you have the latest version of the Amazon app
- Open the Amazon Shopping app on your device.
- Go into the main menu of the Amazon Shopping app and tap into ‘Settings’.
- Tap ‘AmazonSmile‘ and follow the on-screen instructions to turn Amazon Smile on.
The children have all completed the iREADY diagnostic for reading and math. Remember, iReady is the new reading and math instructional resource that we are using at St. Cletus in K-8, designed to address every student’s learning needs and accelerate growth. The children will now spend two 30 minute sessions (one on math and one on reading) each week in this program. These are lessons that will help each student and also provide valuable information/data for us as the teachers to use to differentiate our instruction in the classroom according to your student’s results.
- Counting to 30 by ones. At home: You can practice this in the car!
- We will introduce counting by 10s to 100.
- Counting forward from a given number other than 1. At home: say to your student, “10” and ask your student to say “11, 12” and so on.
- Writing and representing groups up to 20.
- Counting and answering “how many?” up to 20.
- Comparing numbers using >< =
*At home: check out seesaw for extra practice!*
- We will begin to write the date in the following format: 10-2-19 on papers and in our journals.
- Journaling: We will practice drawing a picture and labeling that picture with a word or words; we will be using crayons to draw and a pencil to write the sounds.
- Jolly Phonics: We will move on to GROUP 5 sounds; please keep in mind that all 42 sounds will be introduced and the real “mastery” of the sounds comes from journaling, shared writing activities, guided writing activities, etc. At home: Please click HERE for a powerpoint that will take you through all of the sounds. These can be your “flashcards” to do a quick check/practice of our sounds.
- Sight Words: Current words on our word walls: a, did, do, I, is, no, the, yes, to, see, like, go, will, you, we, or; NEW words to be added: have, me; At home: click HERE to practice reading trimester 1 words. We have covered the first half of the words listed in this powerpoint. You can press play and your student can practice writing with marker, fun pens, chalk, dry erase markers, magnadoodles, ipad, boogie board, etc. Click HERE to print flash cards to begin practicing sight word recognition. You can also print 2 copies of these on thicker paper and play memory!
- We will continue to explore nonfiction books and will define them as “books that teach us about something”.
- We will focus on three reading strategies: “get your mouth ready (say beginning sound),” “use the picture clue,” and “look for chunks”. Don’t forget, when your student comes home with a printable book, read it to THREE LUCKY LISTENERS.
We will wrap up our unit on CREATION and will also introduce our second step program. Second Step is a social emotional learning program that we use to teach skills including listening, getting along with others and recognizing and managing feelings in others and yourself. Each lesson begins with a picture card that sparks a discussion on a certain kindergarten appropriate topic.
We will wrap up our apple unit next week and continue to explore the season of fall. Time for leaf projects!