- Monday, September 5: No School, Labor Day
- Don’t forget to place any hot lunch orders: www.wholesomefoodservices.com
Returning families, don’t forget to:
- update your child’s Grade (K), Teacher (Mahr) and homeroom number (99)
- Select the proper lunch period (1)
- House page (coming home Friday): Turn in house page by Friday, September 23rd. See below for an example. Do NOT use 3D embellishments and make sure you cover the side where your child’s name is (so the chimney is on the left). This will become a traveling house book! Please refer to the email I sent.
- Login to Seesaw (coming home Friday). Please refer to the directions sent home in your child’s folder on Friday. If you’re downloading the APP, make sure it’s the CLASS app.
- Let’s Connect (coming home Friday): Consider following St. Cletus on social media. Please refer to the note in your child’s folder. Please especially consider joining our class Facebook page!
- Headphones: Please send in headphones to be used for iReady on the iPads.
- We had a tornado and a lockdown drill. We reviewed getting OUT of the building for a fire drill and staying IN the building for tornado and lockdown drills. For tornado drills we are split between the two bathrooms and for a lockdown drill the children are trained to go to our “safe spot” while Mrs. Zontos and I have our jobs to do.
- The children are doing SO well with centers: understanding the rotation, clean-up, the job of captains, voice levels, etc.
- Please check out the links in the email I sent to get a peek at what center time and free choice time look like in our classroom. It’s easier to ask your child questions about his/her day when you have a better idea of what it looks like in the classroom! You can ask, “which centers did you visit today?” “who was the captain today at your table?” “What did you play at free choice time today?”
- Jolly Phonics: Next week your child will come home with his/her first “jolly journal”. We will be wrapping up group 1 sounds: S, A, T, I, P, N. Please watch for your child to come home with the Jolly journal along with a note explaining the Jolly Phonics program.
- High frequency/word wall words: Next week, your child will come home with a copy of what our class word wall will look like by the end of October. Our word wall has words that we are learning to read and write independently. Along with the word wall, I will send a note explaining high frequency/word wall words next week. Our current word wall words are: we, will, the. Next week, we will practice making these with magnetic letters, writing them on magnadoodles, we will chant them and we will sing about them!
- Name writing: We are working on writing our names with ONE capital letter and also starting letters at the correct line–the top solid line or the middle dashed line.
- Read alouds: We will wrap up our welcome to kindergarten read alouds next week!
Math: We will begin the iReady Math diagnostic next week.
- Number formation: we will learn number formation poems to help us correctly form numbers 1-9. We will say these poems ALL THE TIME when we’re writing numbers!
- Counting by 1s to 20.
- Writing numbers to 20.
- using > < = to compare numbers
- 1 to 1 Counting of a group of objects
- Classify objects
- Finding Shapes in Environment and Describe Positions (above, below, beside, etc)
- Identify 2-D Shapes (different orientations/sizes)
- Patterning: creating, finishing and labeling
- We will begin to attend Tuesday weekly Mass on September 13. On Tuesdays, Mrs. Zontos will open the doors at 7:45 so we can get paired up with our 8th grade buddies and be in church by 8am.
- We have started our first kindness project in kindergarten. Keeping with our ‘kindergarten is sweet’ theme, we are “sprinkling kindness” everywhere we can. When your child is caught doing something kind, he/she is given a sticker. If your child comes home with a sticker, be sure to ask about it! A teacher may have caught your child or another student may have told on him/her! Sometimes Mrs. Zontos or Mrs. Mahr may miss kindness being sprinkled, but the good news is God is always watching!
- We will begin the first chapter in our Religion series: “I am special” ; the children will learn a new pocket chart song. Next week, ask your child to sing this song to you. Hint: “I am special, I am special if you look, you will see…” God made each and every one of us unique. There is no one in the world just like us. God asks just ONE thing of us. To love one another!