It was another exciting week in Room 99 celebrating the 100th Day of Kindergarten! The children had fun sharing their 100 pieces of snack and working together to add their ingredients to our Kindergarten trail mix. They counted to 100 while playing Buzz, completed a 100 piece puzzle, heard a special story about the 100th day of School, and learned a new 100th Day of School song! Ask your children to sing it for you. We are very excited to begin our activities and discussion about Valentine’s Day next week.
*Please remember as we are in the height of cold and flu season…if your child is NOT feeling well, please keep them home to prevent the spread of illness.
- Friday, February 14th: Classroom Valentine’s Party: thank you class reps for organizing! Sign up to volunteer or bring in supplies if you can! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080a48aaaf2fa4fc1-valentines
- Monday, Febrary 17th: No School/President’s Day
Daily journaling and interactive writing: the kids are doing a great job during our writing block time! Half of the children journal while the other half practice writing sentences on whiteboards. During journal time, we are looking for 2+ sentences, detailed drawings, finger spaces in between words, correct spelling of word wall words and INDEPENDENT (this is hard!) stretching of unfamiliar words. At home, don’t forget to say, “write the sounds you hear” when helping your child spell words. If “snow” is spelled “sno”–that is great! Correct spelling will come later, let’s build CONFIDENT writers first! At home: ask your child what he/she wrote about in his/her journal each day!
- Guided reading with fluency journals: the children will practice reading fluency passages at their reading level. During reading group, we will practice sounding out consonant vowel consonant words and nonsense words. At home, practice sounding out consonant/vowel/consonant words like bug, rat, mat, etc. and have your child write those words down.
- Sight words: This week we added the word “said” to our word wall. We told the children this is one word that cannot be sounded out…they just have to know it. We will practice sight words please refer to the February/March word wall. that was sent home this week. We write the words on salt trays, on whiteboards with magnetic letters, we sing and look for these words in books, our morning message and pocket chart poem/song. At home: be sure to look for these words in books!
- Jolly Phonics: We reviewed our jolly phonics sounds. The children continue to practice “stretching out” words using their jolly phonics skills.
- This week we talked about the many different ways we can show love to others. The children heard the story of the Good Samaritan. The kindergarten bulletin board shows how we are making our classroom a better place every day with kindness. All of the children have placed heart stickers on their mittens because they were “caught being kind”! We feel God’s love through our friends!
- The children can all recite our new pocket chart song about showing God’s love to everyone …ask your child to sing it to you. It starts off like this: “Show God’s love to everyone, everyone, everyone…”
- We worked on dice roll addition and the children practiced counting up on the number line by two and three. Ask your children to come up with number stories to practice their addition. Math can be fun!
- Continue to practice counting to 100 by ones.
- Continue to practice counting to 100 by 5s and 10s to 100. Practice this at home!
- Practice at home counting by 2s to 20.
- Count forward from a given number (except 1)
- Addition and subtraction: We will represent Addition up to 10 with fingers, drawings, sounds. We will represent Subtraction up to 5 with fingers, drawings, sounds. Our goal is to to be able to fluently add and subtract within numbers 5 and under (so 4+2, 3+2, 4+1, etc. will become automatic). To practice this, we do a lot of small group center time work with manipulatives including dice, dominoes.
- We will compose and decompose numbers 11-19 by drawing.