Upcoming Events/mark your calendars:
- Thursday, October 1: Picture Day
- Friday, October 2: Spirit wear day, wear your cardinal colors!
- Friday, October 2: bring in your favorite color apple!
We loved hearing about the children’s baptisms, the day when each of them became a part of God’s family! They did a great job presenting their baptism mementos. Children love to have those special moments where the spotlight is on them! Such fun!
We will continue exploring apples next week with apple centers, apple stories and more! Please have your child bring in an apple on FRIDAY, OCTOBER 2nd.
- Picture day is OCTOBER 1. The children are to dress up but still wear gym shoes. We will attend a modified gym class on picture day, but NO gym clothes are to be worn, only gym shoes. Students may remove their masks for the photograph but must wear their masks throughout the school day. Picture ordering will be on-line ONLY this year. Ordering must be complete ON or BEFORE Picture Day. Click HERE to place your order(s). Our School Code is 20083301.
- Speech Screening: If your child’s teacher hasn’t already reached out to you but you have concerns, please don’t hesitate to send an email. Click this link for information on the screening from D105: Oct. Kindergarten Screening – St. Cletus
- Milk: If you would like your student to receive chocolate or white milk at lunch and didn’t fill out the form yet, please contact the school office firstname.lastname@example.org; milk begins October 1.
- LaGrange library bookmark contest: Bookmark Contest
- Please be sure to check in to your student’s seesaw account weekly. Be sure to check the INBOX on the right hand side for additional assignments. Remember, any Seesaw assignments right now are OPTIONAL/ EXTRA practice of skills that we are practicing in school. We’d like grown-ups and children to get comfortable navigating Seesaw. In your INBOX are the optional “boom card” practice links. Boom cards are quick, self-checking practice cards.
- Please consider turning on your seesaw notifications–after signing in, click on the gear button on the top left hand side. Then go to SETTINGS and CLASS NOTIFICATIONS.
- Are you following St. Cletus school on Instagram? On facebook? On Twitter? Be sure to do so! And don’t forget our kindergarten facebook page! Please reach out if you are having any difficulties.
- Are you logged in to directory spot? https://www.directoryspot.net/schools/stcletuschool/ This is where you can access kindergarten friends names, contact info. Perhaps an outdoor playdate while it’s still nice out! Kindergarten is such a wonderful year. Such sweet friendships are forming in our classrooms!
- Be sure to check out the PICTURES PAGE!
Support our School:
- Boxtops: Be sure to download the boxtops app. If you don’t do this, PLEASE send in your receipts, ATTN: MARGARET NAPLETON (Tommy’s mom from Mrs. Mahr’s class).Are you scanning your boxtops? Click HERE to see list of products with boxtops.
- AMAZON SMILE? With every purchase 0.5% will be donated to a charity of your choice. Please follow the directions below and choose St. Cletus School as the recipient. Do your kindergartener’s grandparents use Amazon? Be sure they use Amazon Smile as well!
- Check that you have the latest version of the Amazon app
- Open the Amazon Shopping app on your device.
- Go into the main menu of the Amazon Shopping app and tap into ‘Settings’.
- Tap ‘AmazonSmile‘ and follow the on-screen instructions to turn Amazon Smile on.
- Jolly Phonics: We will continue and finish group 4 sounds (oa, ie, ee, or); please review group 2-3 sounds at home (letter names and sounds):
- Sight words: The words that are currently on our word walls are: a, do, did, go, I, no, the, yes, we, will, you, is, see, to; next week we will introduce: and, like, my, in
- Pocket chart song: Ask your child to sing this song to you. Hint: “Some are green and some are red and some apples are yellow….”
- Name writing: We will continue to practice writing our names correctly with one capital letter and correct formation of all letters. At home: EDIT, PRINT and practice.
- Printable decodable book: “At School” and/or “Fall Basket” At home: When your child comes home with one of these printable books, please make sure he/she reads it to three “lucky listeners”–grown-up, sibling, pet, stuffed animal, etc. Let’s build your beginning reader’s confidence!
- Reading strategies: we have introduced our first two reading strategies: “get your mouth ready” (say the first sound) and “use the picture clues” to help read unfamiliar words. Try using these strategies at home.
- Journaling: We will continue to practice labeling pictures. We will practice “stretching” and “tapping out words” down our arms or “punching out” beginning or end sounds. We will not answer the question, “how do you spell -?” and we ask that you don’t at home either. Instead answer with, “write the sounds you hear!” Correct spelling will come later. Right now, we are practicing letter sound relationships and helping the children become CONFIDENT writers. We will journal 2-3 times a week and once we introduce all of the Jolly sounds by the end of October, we will begin DAILY journaling.
- Punctuation: we will continue to talk about when to use different “stop signs”: . ! ?
- We will read books all about FALL!
- Shared writing: We will introduce shared writing. Each student will be “spotlighted” and have a chance to “share the pen” with the teacher by filling in missing words and letters. The story he/she will help fill in is below.
My name is ________.
I am __ years old.
I like ______.
I do not like___________.
Math: We will introduce our GO MATH workbooks to the children.
- Finding Shapes in Environment and Describe Positions (above, below, beside, etc)
- Identify 2-D Shapes (different orientations/sizes)
- Patterning – AB
- Counting to 30.
- Number writing practice using the poems. We have introduced poems for numbers 0-10 and next week we will focus on numbers 6-9 formation poems next week; correct formation means starting the numbers at the top and using the lines. Click this link to practice number formation at home: number+formation+reference+sheet 7
- Ten frame work: we are using the DOUBLE ten frame to practice those tricky teen numbers! We know that teen numbers are “a group of ten with some ones left over”
- Tally marks: we are practicing making “bundles of 5” and “groups of ten”.
- Greater than less than: we will begin to use the following symbols >. <, = to compare numbers. At home: be sure your child reads any math papers that come home as “6 is greater than 4” “5 is equal to 5” etc. Be sure they show that they really understand the concept and language.
Religion: We will begin our unit on Creation! God gives us our world and asks us to take care of it! The things in our world, including the people are all gifts from God!
- We will continue our apple unit. We will focus on the words stem, seeds, flesh, skin, leaf and core. We will read fiction and nonfiction books about apples and learn that nonfiction books, “teach us about something.”
- We will discuss and read fiction and non fiction books about the fall.