I am really looking forward to teaching the second grade class this year. It’ll be so exciting to work with your child and watch as they grow academically, spiritually and socially. The first few weeks of school is an adjustment. So, we spend quite a bit of time on learning/practicing routines, working together in our workbooks, on worksheets, etc. so as to make everyone as comfortable as possible. We may continue this a bit into September. Then, more independent work is expected.
Second grade is filled with so many new and exciting things to learn. Each week, please be sure to check the 2nd grade page. I will update this page each week with new information. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to email. I do find that email is the easiest form of communication. Here is a quick link for you. Starting Monday, you will receive the weekly Homework sheet.
In our Phonics unit, we begin with beginning, middle, and end sounds. We’ve been focusing on just the consonant sounds. Next, we look at vowels. Spelling begins next week with silent “b” words. Please practice daily so that your child is prepared for the test. There may be homework given throughout the week to help practice the words. We’ve been doing some introductory reading lessons to ease back into it. Next week, we will begin our first story “Trouble in the Sandbox.”
This past week, we have been working on Simple Solutions during Math for practice and learning the routine. Next week, we will begin our text. Chapter 1 has us working on place value of 2-digit numbers, even/odd numbers, and values of digits in a 2-digit number. There will be Math homework most nights, Monday – Thursday, unless there is a test. Your child should be practicing their math facts each night, even if it’s just for 2 minutes. Maybe you can do this while driving home or standing in line at the grocery store.
In Religion, we began to talk about how Jesus was not only human but divine. We listened to stories that showed how divine he was, as well as listed ways that He was human just like us.
This week, we began looking at how Scientists work. We discussed various inquiry skills and tools used by scientists.
- Look for the first Homework Sheet on Monday. It will show not only homework but other important information as well.
- I’m seeing glasses in desks and backpacks. If your child has glasses that he/she should be wearing all day (minus recess & gym) please send me a quick email so that I can be sure they are wearing them.
- Beginning Tuesday, August 31st, we will be attending 8 AM Mass. We ask that you drop off your child promptly at our usual arrival door. I will take the class over for Mass. You are welcome to go over to church as well to celebrate Mass together with the school, though we will be sitting together as a class. Attending Mass weekly is very important as we prepare for the Sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist.
- If your child has a tree nut or peanut allergy, please send in a small box of treats they may pick from when we celebrate a birthday. This way, they are celebrating with us safely.
- Thank you for having back-up masks in your child’s backpack. Your child may have needed to use it this week. What a relief to get a fresh one on after the heat during recess!
- Thank you to the FSA for a wonderful hot dog lunch. What a treat for everyone!