Week of 11-5-18
This week in Reading, we read “I Wanna Iguana,” a short, realistic fiction story about a boy named Alex who tried to convince his mom to let him have a pet iguana. The story is presented in letters written back and forth between Alex and his mom. We focused on persuasive words and phrases. In Writing, students chose an animal and wrote persuasive letters asking for that animal. Check them out in the hallways! Next week, we are going to begin our animal research projects to practice their informative writing skills!
In Religion, we discussed First Reconciliation and reviewed the key concepts associated with this sacrament. Students are doing a great job studying the Ten Commandments and Act of Contrition for their test next week (November 12-16).
In Math, we focused on adding two 2-digit numbers using the standard method of regrouping. Next week, we will continue working on this skill and using it in word problems. This week, we also started doing timed addition fact tests. Every week, students will take a one-minute, timed addition fact test to see how their fact automaticity improves.
In Science, we learned about fossils and how we can model them. We reviewed all concepts in Unit 3, including basic needs of animals, animal life cycles, animal body coverings, and fossils. Our Unit 3 Test will be on Tuesday, November 13th. Students are coming home with the textbook unit and other things to help them study for their test over the weekend and on Monday night.
In Shurley English, students reviewed Chapter 4 and took their test on Friday. In this chapter, students learned about the nouns, verbs, adjective, adverbs, article adjectives, complete subjects, complete predicates, and declarative sentences. Next week, we will begin Chapter 5; this chapter focuses on singular and plural nouns, common and proper nouns, and the simple subject/predicate in sentences.
In Phonics, students were assessed on their ability to read and write long vowel words. In Spelling, we reviewed words from Units 6-10 and did not have a test. Next week, we will return to our normal spelling test routine.
This week’s newsletter secret is: Veteran’s Day.
- Tuesday, November 13th is Fundraiser Night at Chic-Fil-A in Countryside (5:00 – 7:00 p.m.). Go out and support St. Cletus!
- We have 8:00 a.m. “E” Day Mass on Thursday, November 15th.
- Saturday, November 17th is First Reconciliation. Please be in the church by 10:55 a.m.
- Sunday, November 18th is the Book Fair at 10:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, November 20th is a 11:30 a.m. Early Dismissal (there is no after-care).
- Sign up for Parent Teacher Conferences here! They are on Tuesday, November 20th, starting at 12:30 p.m.
- Room 110 Scholastic Book Orders are due on November 20th. Click here to order; our class code is: RLQG7.
- Please volunteer for recess/lunch duty, click here.
- If you would like to order hot lunch, click here.