Upcoming Events/Mark your calendars:
- Monday, March 4: Hot Lunch, Beef or meatball sandwich
- Wednesday, March 6: Hot Lunch, Pasta and 9:20 all school Mass, Ash Wednesday
- Thursday, March 7: 11:30 dismissal, Parent Teacher Conferences
- Friday, March 8: No School
- Feel free to place online Scholastic book orders at any time. First time classroom activation code is H2NGF;
- If you haven’t signed up for Parent Teacher Conferences, please be sure to do so! Don’t forget to leave yourself some “travel time” if you have multiple children (don’t schedule back to back).
We had a wonderful time celebrating Dr. Seuss. Get these books in your child’s hands and we promise you’ll get a more confident reader! Check your local library! Also, Target has most Dr. Seuss books on sale for $6 this week! Check them out! The books below are especially meant for your children:
Green Eggs and Ham, Cat in the Hat, Wacky Wednesday, Hop on Pop, Ten Apples up on Top, The Foot Book, Mr. Brown can Moo! Can you? One Fish Two Fish…
The children enjoyed reading Seuss books and learning more about him as an author and illustrator. One thing we learned is that a new Seuss book will be coming out in September. We can’t wait! We also graphed which Seuss book is our favorite. Ask your child about the results. Click HERE to see some more of our SEUSS fun!
- “Jesus Welcomes the Children” will be the Bible story we will focus on next week.
- Next week is the start of a very important time in our church, LENT! On Wednesday, we will be going to Mass and receiving ashes. The ashes are a reminder to all that we are special friends of Jesus and we work hard to be just like Him! During Lent, we will work on making ourselves more beautiful on the inside by doing kind things for others. We will pray the Stations of the Cross together each week leading up to Easter. Be sure to read the note that we will send home on Tuesday about Lent.
- Journaling: writing 2+ sentences, generating our own topics–the kids are doing a GREAT job. We can’t wait to show you at conferences!
- Sight Words: February words! Special focus on: when, what, they, he, she
- Review and practice Jolly Phonics; this helps us with our journal writing!
- Author study: Mo Willems Elephant and Piggie books; these books are also great for our early readers. They really help with teaching children expression while reading. In many books, a sentence is repeated with the only difference between the end punctuation. Model how this would sound when reading these books. There are plenty at every local library! Remember, the single MOST IMPORTANT thing you can do to help your beginning reader is to READ EVERY NIGHT!
- We will continue to work on addition and subtraction number sentences. Our goal is to fluently add and subtract within 5 and add and subtract using numbers up to 10 with fingers, drawings, etc. At Home: Model the many different ways you use addition and subtraction. For example, “I put out 2 napkins. How many more do we need if there are 5 people in our family?”
- We will continue to learn about 3 D shapes: cube, cylinder, sphere, cone.
- Count by 2s, 5s, and 10s. At Home: please practice counting by 2s. Model this for your child!
- We will practice “finding the numbers that make 10”. For example, 10= 6+__.