With Reconciliation on November 19th, we began our intensive study to prepare for the Sacrament. This week, we talked about the Bible, how it is God’s Word, and learned about the different parts of the Bible. We will be handing out the Ten Commandments to the class in the coming weeks, and all the children will have to recite the Commandments to the teacher the week after First Reconciliation. Also, the Act of Contrition is going to come home next week. Please start practicing that for First Reconciliation. In Growing with God, we talked about how to stay safe. Within our discussion, we identified safe and unsafe situations.
During Reading this week, we read a wonderful story called “The House on Maple Street”, looking carefully at the setting and how it changes. We will look at the sequence of events in our story and finish it next week with a quiz. We will move on from short vowel sounds to long vowels in Phonics next week, after our Phonics Unit 2 test early in the week. In Grammar, we’ve been classifying sentences with a subject noun, verb, and adverb. Starting next week, we will add adjectives into the mix.
They are also almost finished with their first paper, an opinion piece in which they are telling us what they think we should be for Halloween. The papers, along with a picture, will be in the hallway next week for the whole school to enjoy!
We’ve begun our study of basic addition facts and different strategies that can be used to add. Next week, we will continue and will look more closely at basic subtraction facts. Please practice basic facts daily, even if it is just a couple of minutes. Repetition will help with the automaticity of answers.
There is so much to learn in Social Studies. We learned about laws, several types of communities (urban, suburb, rural) and even practiced some map skills, like using cardinal directions. Next week, we will continue to look at our state and country, and we will learn about state capitals.
- Red Ribbon Week is October 24 – 28. Please review the flyer below to see what fun activities will take place, while we learn about making healthy choices.
- SOCKtober is in full swing. Please consider donating NEW (never-before-worn) socks to this worthy cause, which is being run by our National Junior Honor’s Society.
- The class is very excited for our Author’s Reading of Witch’s Brew on Tuesday. We’ve heard wonderful things about this author and her book.
- Practice basic addition math facts daily!!! It really will give your child help in the coming weeks and months. There are some great apps out there that drill/time children on facts.
- As it gets colder, please be sure your child is dressed warm enough to go outside at recess. We will do our best to be outdoors as much as possible, weather permitting.
- Look for the Homework Sheet on Monday. It will show not only homework but other important information as well.