In Religion, we began the chapter that covers Sacraments. We talked about how we praise and worship God in different ways. We begin by briefly defining each Sacrament. Then we will look more in depth at each. Of course, the heaviest concentration will be on the two Sacraments we will receive this year. Please let us know as soon as possible if your child will not be receiving Reconciliation and/or Communion this year.
In Language, we’ve finished practicing identifying the rules for capitalization and punctuation. Next week, we will begin to classify sentences with a subject noun and verb. We will be adding adverbs soon after that. The jingles we sing really help us remember the different parts of speech. We will also learn a new vocabulary word: moist. In Phonics, we continue to read and write short vowel words. In Reading, we are almost done with our 3rd story, “Friends Around the World” where we are looking at the lives of 4 different children around the world. We are comparing and contrasting their lives by using the text and later illustrations.
In Math, we continue to work with numbers through 1,000. We are looking at many ways to represent a number and will compare numbers. We also work with our Simple Solutions workbook on most days. This gives the children an opportunity to practice many math skills on an almost daily basis. Remember, practicing basic addition and subtraction facts is part of daily homework! We will finish chapter 2 in the next two weeks. Then in Chapter 3, we will move on to basic facts and number relations. This would be a good time to start practicing math facts daily, if you haven’t already.
We will finish our second unit in science next week, with the test most likely on Friday or the following week. The unit will be sent home once finished so that your child has a few days to study. We will also be doing a lot of reviewing in class. Your child should study a little bit a day. If they are comfortable in answering the lesson review pages, they should do fine on the test. Next week, we may also use the design process for a STEM activity. After the test, we will switch gears over to Social Studies. The first unit focuses on Communities.
- If you have extra sidewalk chalk around the house that no one uses, please consider sending it in to school. Many of the children like to use it during recess, but we are running low. Thank you!
- Please send in headphones or earbuds with your child on Monday if you haven’t already. We will use them often, while we work on iReady and some other apps on iPads. Also, ask your child if the headphones feel OK. Some are saying it hurts their head.
- We hear there are many wonderful pets at home that are part of our families. On the Feast of St. Francis, Tuesday, October 4, there will be a pet blessing from 4 – 5PM. Bring those special gifts of love from God to receive a special blessing.
- As it is getting cooler with the coming autumn days, please remember to send your child dressed warmly enough for outdoor recess.
- Look for the Homework Sheet on Monday. It will show not only homework but other important information as well.