Upcoming Events/mark your newsletters:
- Wednesday, November 8: Picture Retake day
- Thursday, November 9: Spirit Day Assembly, wear red and white
- Friday, November 10: Veteran’s Day and teacher professional development, NO SCHOOL
- Great job with the name writing! Keep turning those pages in. The kids are doing a great job writing their names “the kindergarten way.”
- Boom cards: check those out in the next two weeks! Login to SEESAW and find them under messages. PLEASE REACH OUT if you’re having any issues.
- Halloween tally page: The kids have enjoyed presenting to the class their Halloween candy results. Keep sending those in as you finish.
Assessments: I will begin assessments for November conferences. P/T conference sign up information will be coming out next week!
Kindergarten Thanksgiving feast: Isaac’s mom will be sending out a sign-up for our Thanksgiving feast which is coming up in a couple of weeks! We need food items for this event, no volunteers. Fasten your seatbelts, these next two months will be busy and will fly by!
- L is for “Lily”. We will begin L next week; the hand motion is crossing arms across the chest to sign “love” while rocking and saying /l/ /l/ /l/. Lily loves lions!
- Current word wall words are: a, do, go, I, like, no, see, to, the, we, will, yes, my, did, you. The latest word wall ( Super Kids end of November (1)) was sent home on Friday! I will begin introducing color words next week–red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, white, black, brown, pink. We will do a lot of singing to help remember how to read and spell these words!
- Journaling: We will be writing sentences that start with “I see” and “I like” and will use writing center word cards to finish those sentences.
- Daily phonemic awareness exercises
- Shared writing continues! The format is: My name is…, I am __ years old, I like…, I do not like… We practice writing the words together. Each child has a chance to be the story leader.
- Read alouds: we are focusing on identifying the CHARACTERS (the people or animals a story is about) and the SETTING (the time and place a story takes place). We are also working hard to sequence stories, remembering the order of events.
- Parking lot: Erase the words that are in there by default and insert any of our word wall words. Use a matchbox car and say, “park in the GO spot. Now pull out and park in the “will” spot” etc. Sight Word Parking Lot
- Word wall practice: using a magnadoodle, drawing app, gel pens, markers, etc. — ask your child to spell our word wall words. In the car, spell a word wall word and see if your child knows what it is.
- Reading: ask your child: “who are the characters in this story?” “Which character did you like the best? why?” What happened at the beginning of the story? The middle? The end?
Math: We will continue with chapter 4: Represent and Compare numbers to 10.
- Tally marks: tallying numbers up 10 remembering to “make a bundle with 5” and “circle groups of ten”.
- Number formation: I have no introduced ALL number poems. Just a reminder, poems can be found Number Poems It really helps the kids to form their numbers correctly.
- Counting to 30: We are practicing counting to 20 and are being extra careful with “13, 14, 15”
- Ten frames: representing numbers 1-20 on a ten frame.
- Comparing numbers 1-15 and naming them as less than, greater than or equal to.
- Counting by 10s.
1.) Practice counting by 1s to 40.
2.) Practice counting by 10s to 100.
3.) Start at a number other than 1 and say the next two numbers. For example, “what comes after 8?” “9, 10!”
4.) double ten frame mats: feel free to print and focus on representing teen numbers as a group of ten with ___ ones. You can use any small manipulatives or food (beads, cubes, m and ms, etc.)
We will begin our thankful unit. We will color, cut and paste a turkey onto construction paper. Every other day, we will add a “thankful feather” to our turkeys. We will illustrate our new pocket chart song: “The earth below, the sky above, the food we eat, the friends we love, are ALL gifts from God, ALL gifts from God!”